what nappy, gel or foam?

RyanMK43
RyanMK43 Posts: 113
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys I am doing an 80 mile charity bike ride in June and then some long days or 2 day rides in Scotland a week after. So I’m looking to buy a new nappy as I call them but padded under short. I was just wondering what you would go for, a gel or foam padded under short and also if any of you could recommend a couple of pairs. Something along the lines of http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=21287 Thanks :)

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    For me anyway, Gel pads tend to be slightly larger and offer more padding. Foam pads are usually thinner.

I used to prefer he Gel pads, but my rear has toughened up a bit and now prefer the narrower fit of the foam.

As for recommendations, I have been very happy with my Lusso:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Search/lusso

I personally prefer Bibs... they may look odd, but you don't see then when you have something on top. They are much more comfortable than shorts, especially if you are hunched over all day.
    Simon
  • Have a look at the MT500 shorts the pad is as thick as a pillow
  • RyanMK43
    Ok cheers guys. I normally use foam liners but they are just the free click in ones I got with my endura shorts. Do the gel pads have any benefit over the foam?
  • springtide9
    edited February 2012
    dup :)
    Simon
  • springtide9
    RyanMK43 wrote:
    Ok cheers guys. I normally use foam liners but they are just the free click in ones I got with my endura shorts. Do the gel pads have any benefit over the foam?

If you want comfort, you really want something that offers isolation, but is shaped such that it actually fits in with your rear and your seat. If you are having to use a nappy pad for long days in the saddle - you need a new seat :)

What gel offers compared to a standard pad is the ability to mould between your seat and you rear (being polite).. and as it's a gel, it doesn't fully compress.

I find the stick in foam pads more uncomfortable that not wearing any pad at all... think these are more designed for 'play' riding (for when you bash yourself against the seat) rather than being sat in the saddle all day.
    Simon
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Am I missing something, I've never really seen gel pads, and I use reasonably expensive shorts, always found foam more than adequate :?

Most comfy shorts I've got are Gore Ozon bibs, followed closely by Assos F.I.Mille (more comfy than my F.I.13s or Unos - although the latter have a ridiculous amount of padding).
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've given up on padded shorts, used to swear by them but now I find it more comfortable without so just wear my normal boxers under my shorts. I'd happily ride all day like that.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Rather you than me!

2 pairs FTW if it's a long ride (>10 hours), with chamois cream.
  • RyanMK43
    I think I will just go for a decent pair of the foam short then. I don’t want it to feel like one of those cheap nasty £ shop gel saddle covers mums have on their bikes.
  • springtide9
    oodboo wrote:
    I've given up on padded shorts, used to swear by them but now I find it more comfortable without so just wear my normal boxers under my shorts. I'd happily ride all day like that.
    Cotton boxers ....Arh... shuddering thinking about the nappy rash :lol:
    Simon