UT bearing circlip removal

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
edited March 2012 in Workshop
In Ultra torque chainsets, the Drive side bearing is retained in place by a circlip... I have removed it a few times, but always with great difficulty, as I haven't found a tool for the job yet... normally I use two tiny flat screwdrivers and try to get some leverage to pull it with quite some struggling...
Is there some form of circlip pliers which are bang on for the job? Normal ones seem to be designed for circlips with holes...

Thanks
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just hold and pull one end and then do the other.

it is not like it is fragile.

cpultra_191w.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Needle nosed pliers to do as Nick suggests works for me
  • nicklouse wrote:
    just hold and pull one end and then do the other.

it is not like it is fragile.

cpultra_191w.jpg

It's not that one... it's the one that retains the bearing, sitting on the UT axle
  • It's this one I mean

ring.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    See what you mean. I've never dealt with any circlips without the holes for the pliers.

Crazy Italian engineering!
  • nicklouse
    as you do now. screwdrivers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:

Yes, but when it sits in the groove, it's a hell of a job to pop it out... was wondering if there was a tool to make the job a 3 seconds rather than 5 minutes struggle
  • keef66
    Can you not still prise the ends apart with circlip pliers?? I have an adjustable pair that I feel would work in that situation.

Is that what the bearings look like? No seal on the inside??
  • keef66 wrote:
    Can you not still prise the ends apart with circlip pliers?? I have an adjustable pair that I feel would work in that situation.

Is that what the bearings look like? No seal on the inside??

That is what I am wondering... I don't own a pair of plyers like that and don't want to waste money if they don't work... need someone with hands on experience...

The picture is of bearings with Si3N4 balls, they don't really need seals and normally come without... the steel ones have seals, but they get rusty regardless
  • Nobody?

Monty?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Yes, but when it sits in the groove, it's a hell of a job to pop it out... was wondering if there was a tool to make the job a 3 seconds rather than 5 minutes struggle
    You see the ends are tapered. They are like that to get a pick (screwdriver) in and lift it out and around.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

You see the ends are tapered. They are like that to get a pick (screwdriver) in and lift it out and around.

that's what I currently do, but it's anything but easy... a hit and miss... need a dozen attempts before succeeding... how come Campagnolo and Park haven't come out with a 50 pounds tool to do this simple task?
  • Got it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7VlQkCT9M

they do use circlip pliers combined with a small flat screwdriver... bugger!
  • keef66
    Spooky! That's what was happening in my mental picture of how my circlip pliers might work!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Never done the job personally, but as suggested, use a pair of external cir-clip pliers. I would buy a cheap set off ebay and grind the ends if necessary.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..