mobile phones

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
might be looking at a contract and a new moby, I'm still in the dark ages with a PAYG but a great Nokia 6300 :D

Worries me with 18/24 month terms and phone turns out to be poop or flaky and your stuck with it, I'm looking at keeping what I have and new one for none cycling, wouldn't want to crash with a tasty expensive smart phone in my rear jersey, possibly look at setting up call divert either way.

So, what you do all have and recommend for cycling and out of hours cycling world.

T4L
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I have a Samsung galaxy nexus and it's incredible.

-vanilla (unskinned) android 4.0 is delightful
    -amazing screen
    -super fast CPU and Data

the best way to pick is to walk into a phone4u/carphonewarehouse and have a look at some models, ask for a play on the ones you like.. then take a note of the names and go home and read the reviews on a website like engadget.

but you may want to wait a month or two as the MWC (mobile world conference) is this week, so all the manufacturers are announcing their latest, greatest quad core phones... so you might see a price drop in the current batch.

i wouldn't worry about taking your expensive smartphone out with you -> there are cases your there which will give it a lot of protection. eg this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOiZElafj2Y

the other option is have two phones, one for off the bike, and one for on the bike.

I use my old phone at the moment until i get a proper case sorted for the new one -> and its a cheap, terrible spec android phone from 2 years ago... but it makes phone calls and gets on google maps so its good enough for me.

Better spec phones than my old one can be found new for under £100 ->

e.g. http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/san-francisco-from-orange-in-grey
    or http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_details.asp?itemkey=564167&intcid=payg-hot-p4

and second hand you should be able to pick something nice up for £50 that will work well as a bike only phone.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 and love it. I really wanted a iPhone 4s, but went with the Galaxy as I could get it very cheap through work.

At the time of buying I would have choose an iPhone, but after owning the Galaxy for a month I don't think I'd swap it for an iPhone or anything else. It's an amazing gadget.

The misses has a iPhone and it is a great device, feels like a quality, heavy device in your hands and dose have advantages if you own other Apple devices what with iCloud ect. But I think I'm still happier with my Android Samsung.
  • Car phone warehouse will give you a laptop or playstatiopn3 on a lot of contracts , if you had got those contracts direct from the network , they would cost the same but with no freebie .

GIFFGAFF.COM is part of the O2 network and its sister (small) company , i use them . £25 sim only gives you 1500 minutes and unlimited internet and unlimited text , 0845 and 0870 are allowed as normal minutes , and 0800 or all freephone numbers are free , and free voicemail . Its all done online , even customer services is run by the customers .

Just a couple of ideas there , you can get a pretty decent HTC from ebay for £100 to £120

cheers
    Britannia waives the rules
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    got a great Nokia last week - it takes two SIMS - incoming on both lines, and you can choose which to dial out on - brilliant
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Have had a Samsung Galaxy S2 for 39 days and the screen has developed dead pixels. Tesc0, at the moment, are refusing to replace it and want to send it back for repair with no replacement. :(
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    I have an iPhone 4 and it's time for me to upgrade. I'm going to wait until October* and get the iPhone 5.

* Rumoured release date.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    HTC are unreliable in my experience as a phone, signal processing/acquistion for mobile, Data, WiFi and GPs are all poor. The processor and screen are very good as is the UI but the camera despite being 8MP is not great. I have had mine repaired and then replaced in less than 12 months. Battery life is shocking. Should have got a BB.

HTC Desire HD.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    timmyturbo wrote:

GIFFGAFF.COM is part of the O2 network and its sister (small) company , i use them . £25 sim only gives you 1500 minutes and unlimited internet and unlimited text , 0845 and 0870 are allowed as normal minutes , and 0800 or all freephone numbers are free , and free voicemail . Its all done online , even customer services is run by the customers .

How does this work mate with customer services run by the customers? Also i heard your sim card is sent to you by another customer who is randomly selected? Is this true? Im thinking of joining myself just not so sure about the afterservice!
  • have been looking at HTC Desire and a Samsung Galaxy S, is it a must to have Android, what is the next best reliable thing, won't be doing much internetting on it, just handy at times to check things out probably Forums and Facebook but not so much surfing as such. Priorities for me would be decent camera, picking up Email and easy to use as a phone.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Rigga wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:

How does this work mate with customer services run by the customers? Also i heard your sim card is sent to you by another customer who is randomly selected? Is this true? Im thinking of joining myself just not so sure about the afterservice!

Its all true , £25 payg 1500 mins etc etc . You can even set up your own advert for GIFFGAFF , and anyone that applies via your advert , creates a £5 credit for you , and yes customer services is forum based , a bit like the road workshop forum , but with 500 people reading it within 10 minutes , and if there is a big problem then you email a giffgaff agent . A really good deal £25 on giffgaff in comparison to say orange would cost £45 min etc .

cheers
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Team4Luke wrote:
    have been looking at HTC Desire and a Samsung Galaxy S, is it a must to have Android, what is the next best reliable thing, won't be doing much internetting on it, just handy at times to check things out probably Forums and Facebook but not so much surfing as such. Priorities for me would be decent camera, picking up Email and easy to use as a phone.

Have a look at the Nokia Lumia 800 then?

Its got a decent camera and windows phone 7 OS is going to be a lot slicker to use than android. and the build quality is amazing... I was tempted to get one but wanted a bigger screen, and android.

The best cameras currently available come on the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy S2 though.
  • Team4Luke wrote:
    have been looking at HTC Desire and a Samsung Galaxy S, is it a must to have Android, what is the next best reliable thing, won't be doing much internetting on it, just handy at times to check things out probably Forums and Facebook but not so much surfing as such. Priorities for me would be decent camera, picking up Email and easy to use as a phone.

Have a look at the Nokia Lumia 800 then?

Its got a decent camera and windows phone 7 OS is going to be a lot slicker to use than android. and the build quality is amazing... I was tempted to get one but wanted a bigger screen, and android.

The best cameras currently available come on the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy S2 though.

Camera's on phone are sometimes mistaken for being better just because of the megapixel size but not taking into account the actual width of the lens itself . This way you can actually get more detailed pictures say on a Nokia N95 at 5 megapixels than a sony ericson at 8 megapixels for example