Bowland Cycling, Scorton, Lancs - new shop

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Some of you might know this as a cycling cafe. They have also know opened up as a shop. I just bought a bike from them (Look 565) and the service was great. Good price, allowed a reserve without deposit, very good advice with bike fitting, take cyclescheme, they threw in some carbon bottle holders, kept the wife and kids happy with free drinks & sweets in the cafe whilst we talked bikes, a great place. They sell K speed bikes which I've never heard of but look great. I spoke the owner, Garry, and they've got plans to expand. Those of you in Lancaster, Preston & the surrounding areas might be interested...and no I don't work for them![/b]
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    A mate told me about the shop upgrade a few weeks ago, I,ve not managed to get there yet but it,s a perfect place for a bike shop. Hope they do well
  • I use to ride&race with Garry Lee back in the 80's when we where part of Cleveley's Road Club..always had a good 'dig' on training nights and weekend TT
    I'd not seen him for a few years and did'nt realise he had taken over the 'Priory' up untill stopping off there a few weeks back...

Good luck to him
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I know Gary and Julie too. He's starting to build his stock up now - Cannondale, Look, K Speed and plenty of Gore wear.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Its a big risk to give up a cushy number at BAE Systems like Gary did, but if its going to succeed then he is in the right place. I went in just before Xmas and some of the kit was very impressive. Good luck to him.
  • Thanks for all your comments
    from All At the Bowland Cycling Team :D

http://www.bowlandcycling.co.uk/

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Nice place, but haven't been there since the bike shop was added on. I used it as the half-way point for my ride from home (Wirral) to Grasmere when going on holiday last year :)
  • dodgy
    Word on the street/smoke signals/rumour mill (delete as appt) is that this place isn't quite as accomodating for cyclists as it once was. I'm riding up to the lakes again on Sunday and will be passing through, question for the locals really. What's the best, the Priory or the place over the road 'Barn' or something?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Thanks for all your comments
    from All At the Bowland Cycling Team :D

Duff linky :(
  • laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    Dodgy, I'm part of a local group and for various reasons I won't go into we go up Snow Hill to the side of the Priory and go to a new place called the Apple Store, very friendly and a warm welcome everytime we go in......enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dodgy
    laguna wrote:
    Dodgy, I'm part of a local group and for various reasons I won't go into we go up Snow Hill to the side of the Priory and go to a new place called the Apple Store, very friendly and a warm welcome everytime we go in......enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, but that is a pretty hard place to find. Apple Store is going to obviously throw a lot of results up. You got a closer address?

Edit: This must be it? http://wyresdalepark.co.uk/cafe-gardens/
  • The Barn

others in the area
    Apple Store very nice and nieche, lovely grounds and very welcoming to cyclist, I know the owner.
    Pinewood Garden Centre Cafe Forton, nice chilled place to relax outside or in the conservatory.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • I don't get the business plan in place at the Priory/Bowland Cycling.

Open a bike shop in one of the best, friendliest cycling cafes in the area, then do your upmost to piss off as many cyclists as possible. I was full of hope for this place but not many people fancy going for a coffee and being treated like shit. The pace has died a death and it's a massive shame.

The Barn is a decent venue but in my opinion the best cafe around is Pudding House at Wallings Farm, Cockerham.
  • cafe de lune, Conder Green too, super place to sit out and relax in the sun by the estuary.
  • dodgy
    edited February 2012
    Team4Luke wrote:
    cafe de lune, Conder Green too, super place to sit out and relax in the sun by the estuary.

Looks nice! Is the Lune Estuary path a good surface? I wouldn't mind trying to stay on that as far as possible as I'm heading north to the Lakes. Or would I be better staying on the A588?

PS I'll be on a carbon road bike, 23mm tyres with 110psi :lol:
  • davelakers wrote:
    I don't get the business plan in place at the Priory/Bowland Cycling.

Open a bike shop in one of the best, friendliest cycling cafes in the area, then do your upmost to wee-wee off as many cyclists as possible. I was full of hope for this place but not many people fancy going for a coffee and being treated like shoot. The pace has died a death and it's a massive shame.

The Barn is a decent venue but in my opinion the best cafe around is Pudding House at Wallings Farm, Cockerham.

less said about that the better :roll:
    Let our wheels do the rolling. :)
  • maddog 2
    dodgy wrote:
    Is the Lune Estuary path a good surface?

It's rideable on 23mm tyres for sure. It's better when it's drier as the muddy spray can be an issue on wetter days. I often commute into Lancaster on it.

Apple store is a nice cafe.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    yes it is quite rideable, we often use it on our club rides to cut out the main roads into Lancaster, it can be dirty/muddy when wet so better on winter/mudguard bike, some puddles, not a lot of mud but you can "track" your tyre and potentially skid, otherwise when dry it's great, just be friendly to all the walkers so they move for you, also you can get into lancaster then get onto the cycle paths through and continue on them to Crook O Lune butty hut and you can go as far as Bull Park Picnic site too, near Caton.
  • dodgy
    Thanks for the local knowledge, much appreciated.

Think I'll settle on Café de Lune, it's just over halfway at 55 miles or so. Weather is looking fifty fifty, so might stick to the A588 to Lancaster after that.
  • maddog 2
    you'll be coming past my house :wink: