Brake question...

sirmol
sirmol Posts: 287
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I have seen many people have brake levers on their straight section of the handle bars, do these then become the only brae on the bike or does it then have duel braking? cheers.

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    if theyre on drop bars they can be dual function with the sti's still working.
  • sirmol
    Can this be done easily?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They are called interrupter levers and are commonly fitted to CX bikes in the mistaken belief they improve control. For offroad, however they are often too narrow to keep control. They fit inline with the existing levers - you need to remove the handlebar tape and inner brake cable, cut the outer cable at the right point and then refit - a bikeshop will probably charge 30 mins workshop time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sirmol
    Cheers Monty, i have just started and it didn't feel 'comfortable' holding the bars when i pressed the brake so i might heighten the sti levers and see how that feels. Although i was contemplating putting these brakes on for more control going down hill.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try braking from both the hoods and the drops. You might need to adjust the position of the bars and levers to get the best position / comfortable handholds. Some levers have adjusters or shims that allow you to change the bar to lever distance.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sirmol
    no idea what mine have got, I'm going to have to experiment with allen keys at the weekend! I'll have to see what my levers have to offer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Once you're used to it you can brake perfectly adequately from the hoods. I came down Rosedale Chimney yesterday like that :shock: