Boys Weekend Away

mastermosher
mastermosher Posts: 233
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all. I want to take myself and my 2 sons away to a trail centre as a treat in the future.
What can people recommend as a good place to go, My sons are 9 and 13 and ride the trails local to me in essex (Thorndon, Langdon Hills, Hadleigh Country Park) although some might not find them challenging. They both ride around 20-25 miles a week off and on road.They say they need a more challenging time away now.
Thanks all.
I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous

Comments

• As I grew up in Wales and still try to get over to ride the MTB as often as I can though I point you in this direction - http://mbwales.com/ I've ridden almost all the trails on this website and can there are some pretty good ones.

Guess you just need to think about where you want to stay and for you I guess how long the drive would be
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Hi all. I want to take myself and my 2 sons away to a trail centre as a treat in the future.
    What can people recommend as a good place to go, My sons are 9 and 13 and ride the trails local to me in essex (Thorndon, Langdon Hills, Hadleigh Country Park) although some might not find them challenging. They both ride around 20-25 miles a week off and on road.They say they need a more challenging time away now.
    Thanks all.

Try Swinley Forset in Berkshire. Everything from gentle cross country to reall challenging single track. Windsor is just up the road for a nice place to stay over.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Thanks fella for the replys. Swinley forest sounds good to me for a short week end and then on to wales later in the year.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Glentress is always a good shout for most people, plenty of varied trails that cater for most abilities. And if you find you want more of a challenge Innerleithen is a 5 or 10 minute journey down the road which has the Downhill trails and the XC trail. Plenty of places to stay. There are several bike friendly self-catered accommodation places dotted around Peebles, Innerleithen and so on and there are the wigwams right at the bottom of Glentress itself, can't get any more convenient than that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Problem with Swinley (and Surrey Hills) is that nothing is marked or signposted, so unless you know the place or have a guide, you won't find any of the decent stuff.
    South Wales is good and just up the motorway really - Afan would suit, but best IMO would be Brechfa. There are green, blue, red and black runs, so plenty to ride, and work up from. The blue is excellent fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But if you decide to try Swinley (and you could just pop up for the day) keep and eye on London Calling in rides - normally someone up there, and you would be welcome to join in.
    Skills range from rather good to pretty hopeless so there's no pressure.
    And it is a fun place - lots of good trails, but not very hilly so you can pack plenty of fun in without getting exhausted.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    But if you decide to try Swinley (and you could just pop up for the day) keep and eye on London Calling in rides - normally someone up there, and you would be welcome to join in.
    Skills range from rather good to pretty hopeless so there's no pressure.
    And it is a fun place - lots of good trails, but not very hilly so you can pack plenty of fun in without getting exhausted.

Fair point re signing, its non existant, but I have got some maps with the key trails marked on them, pm me with your email and I will send them you. Also, on a weekend there're loads of bikes out, lots of locals who can direct you to the best trails. Look on youtube for the swinley trails, make a note of the ones you like and either follow my map,or ask a local for directions. Simples!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • cooldad
    True ish, but even with a map, it's still easy to miss most of them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Haven't tried it myself but how about Bedgebury

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6LJHU5

It's less than an hour away and looks like it's got something for everyone

HTH

Jim
    ps If you do go let me know what it's like :)
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'd probably head to Wales too - as per the posts Surrey Hills and Swinley are great, but you will struggle to piece together a loop without help. That said, from Essex Swinley is easily doable in a day, so you might consider that as a one day trip. Were a friendly bunch on London Calling thread, so theres probably always someone round to help you out. If doing wales, I would consider the options given, or maybe also Betws Y Coed. Trails aren't as exciting as some, but still epic compared to Essex! There is however plenty of accommodation, including family rooms, and the Marin trail is literally in the town, and Penmachno is a short drive. If going to Afan, then look up the Afan lodge - nice place to stay smack bang in the middle of the two Afan trail centers. Y wal and Whites level certainly would test the youngsters!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • take em cannock chase that'll sort em out MORE challenging
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Have a look at Cannock Chase in the Midlands, probably the closest trail centre to you. Follow the dogs ideal as a starter trail (rated red, more of a blue though so great on your first trip out). Monkey trails a little bit more technical but worth a look.
    As per someone elses suggestion, Swinleys great. The trails aren't marked like a trail centre so you have to kinda find your way around. PM me your email address and I'll send you a map someone else sent me.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    gregwari wrote:
    (rated red, more of a blue though so great on your first trip out). Monkey trails a little bit more technical but worth a look.

As compared to a blue where?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • hi and thanks for all your help. After speaking to the lads and obviously the wife (not coming but have to have permission obviously), we have decided to go to Cannock Chase to start off with.
  • Sinkrate
    Sinkrate Posts: 44
    +1 for Swinley. The trails can be hard to find / spread out but its a great place to ride, can be a bit of a maze. Best to grab some maps and some directions as offered above. PM if needed.
  • Just back from Cannock Chase with only my youngest. He as well as me absolutely loved it. Only did the green and blue trails, but both coped well. Will look at going somewhere further afield next time.
    Thanks for all the good advice.
  • adivol
    adivol Posts: 1
    Well boys of this age like adventure like speed bumper boats, rock climbing wall, arcade so choose those places for them.