tubular fitting advice

rupert28
rupert28 Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in Workshop
i have just purchased a set of bora ones and schwalbe tubulars and need some fitting advice!
i have been told its easier to fit with tape, but someoneelse tells me i still need to put glue down first?
i also need to extend the valves what should i buy and where!
thanks in advance
stuart

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    What are you using the wheels for, TT or RR? If for TT then just tape is fine, some use glue only if RR and especially for tight crit racing but tbh I have race crits on taped tubs with no problems. Never heard of anyone using tape and glue, would be wary of doing it in case the glues weren't compatible.
  • using for rr and circuit crits
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    There is a 3 part YOUTUBE vid with Mark Purdy showing how he fits tubs! one of the better Youtube demo's I feel and happily lacks any hint of overbearing American bullsh*t rock music to help things along. :D
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Tape is fine - no glue.

Apply tape, leaving the backing on but peel maybe 2 inches off and leave the backing dangling over the side of the rim. Fit the tub over the top - no psi in the tub. Lift the tub up by maybe an inch at a time and peel off the remainder of the backing as you go along using the dangling tongue to start you off - this means that you won't keep on snapping the backing with the infuriation that brings.

At the end of it, put maybe 30 psi in the tub to give it some shape and make sure its centered on the wheel then pump to whatever you want - see threads passim for advice.

Job jobbed.

Can someone else please advise gluing procedure as I have never used glue.

HTH

Y
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Continental have a good video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DLSG2WT0mc

My vote is glue. No expierence of tape but have been gluing tyres on since I was about 15 and that was over 20 years ago...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    You need the Carbon rim version video here...
    http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... er_en.html
    As to tape or glue, i glue mine, never tried tape so cant comment.
    Valve extenders - try the conti ones if the Schwalbe have removeable valve cores, they should fit but you ll have to work out the length, CRC or Wiggle sell them as would any Conti tub dealer.

I ll ad that i was sceptical over the lack of glue Conti spec for carbon rims(compare to Alu) but a seasons racing + two trips to the Alps and i'm still here.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    You can buy valve extenders at Planet X. They can only be used if the valve core is removable like on my Conti Competitions. Not sure about schwalbe. Vittoria Corsas have a different system where the whole valve unscrews from the tub allowing an extension tube to be inserted. Only buy Conti carbon glue in one use tubes because it goes off in storage as i have found out. The tins are aimed at teams etc where it is being used all the time. I have tried to use Jantex tape and found it very tricky as the backing tape kept breaking. There is another brand of tape, Tufo, which is easier but I have heard it can pull bits of carbon from the wheel rim. Maybe thats why you heard that you use glue as well to seal the rim first?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As a bizarre coincedence, I bought some Schwalbe extenders yesterday for a new set of deep rims (admittedly in this case deep rim carbon clinchers, but extenders needed all the same:

The extenders I normally use from the same shop just screw on top of the existing valve using a bit of PFE tape to provide the seal, but this time I didn't notice I was buying Schwalbe and you have to undo the core of the inner tube and the spare inner tubes I have don't have uncrewable cores (Giant ones).

So, after a fruitless evening of fettling, back to the shop I go. And I have a training weekend in France leaving tomorrow that I need to get the bike ready for - and I'm out shooting things tonight ……..

Worth bearing in mind when purchasing.

Re backing of the tape snapping: that's why you raise the tub up as you go along: like anything, if you try and unpeel paper from underneath something that is being held down it'll snap. After you've done it once you'll never have any problems.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Yes no problem with Jantex tape here, just lift the tub and put a pencil under it across the rim. As you roll the pencil along pull the backing tape off gently. works brilliantly.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    I've used Jantex tape and not had any problems with it holding tubs on - both for road races and TTs.
    I've also used glue which is much more of a faff in that
    a) time required since on a clean rim I normally put 2 or 3 layers n, waiting 12/24hrs or so between each, and then once the tub is on I wait at least overnight
    b) chance of getting glue on hands/clothes/floor

Re tape, I only had 1 problem which was when I punctured during a wet race and tried to ride along gingerly - the tape seemed to unstick from the rim or the tub and wouldn't allow me to ride at all. A long walk looked like a possibility until a kindly spectator gave me a lift.

The tip about using a pencil (or BIC pen maybe sturdier) is a good one and one I've used. Just be patient with peeling the backing off as it is a pain if it rips from the tape itself.
    Also some tubs don't seem to run 100% true and attempts to lift it up once installed might be futile.

Final tip - pre-glue/tape put on rim and inflate to full pressure for a day or 2 to stretch it slightly, helps when you come to stick it down.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    the tape seemed to unstick from the rim or the tub

Shouldn't happen flat tyre or not. Which is why I think glue (used properley) is the best. I recall seeing someone years ago with a rolled tyre that was still pumped up on the side of the road during a race. I still remember the filthy looks that were given by all the competitors as they passed him.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    All you ever wanted to know (and probably some you didn't) about gluing in here

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=72309
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I prefer Tufo tape to Jantex - it's a bit 'stickier' and because of the plastic backing tape is easier to apply and remove. Some rim makers don't like it (Zipp) because people have pulled their rim apart - but if you pull the tape off carefully, it should be no worse than removing a glued tub IME. Glueing is the strongest, but it takes a couple of days to do properly and even after years of practise, you still need to wear overalls / old clothes or you'll end up with a fuzzy mess.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..