Buying a new bike

patrick61184
patrick61184 Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy myself a bike in the next few months and i was hoping to get some advice before doing so.

I'm not a newcomer to trail riding but have been off the bike now for about 3-4 years. I used to ride a Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo, which wasn't a bad bike but wasn't quite up to regular trail riding. I've recently got back into riding but have been borrowing a friends old bike.

I'm looking to spend between £1000-£1500 on a new bike. I have been toying with the idea of possibly buying second hand. is this a good idea or should i just buy brand new?

Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buying used will always get you more bike for your money, but they usually needs some TLC so it depends how mechanically inclined you are or a bike shop may soon swallow the savings!

That sort of budget will get you either a really good hardtail such as a Carbon 456, or a very useable full sus, especially if you don't mind a last years model in the sales.

What sort of riding, HT or FS preferances?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    maybe able to find something here http://www.canyon.com/_uk/shop/ if you don't mind going direct
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Hi Simon

That was my thinking exactly regarding second hand, I'm not shy of the spanners but don't want to have to spend to much money or time getting a bike ride worthy.

I think I would prefer FS as I intend to up the frequency at which I ride as well as the difficulty.

I looked at last years models and there are bikes at a greatly reduced rate. I think this is the route I'll probably pursue, this way I can upgrade parts/accessories as I go.

What are your feelings on "Cube"? A close friend has bought one and it's a real nice ride. I'd not really hears of them before.

Patrick
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 guys I ride with have Cube's, one and HT and the other the short travel FS that looks almost like an HT if you squint slightly, both have been very happy and very impressed by them, not ridden either myself though.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.