Ibis Mojo HD or Intense Carbine?

IBISMojoHDamon
IBISMojoHDamon Posts: 330
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
What would you get for an all mountain, long travel carbon wonder?

160mm Ibis Mojo HD

or

151mm Intense Carbine

Usage will be mainly Wales, Cannock Chase, Forest of Dean and All Mountain type stuff, no racing, just as an all purpose long travel XC / All Mountain stylee.

*No other bikes in the frame so you can shove your suggestions around an Orange or other SP POS. ;0)

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Mojo HD anyday
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your user name would sound stupid otherwise so Mojo.

I have read on the internet that Oranges are awesome, taste yummy and a good supply of vitamins
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Your user name would sound stupid otherwise so Mojo.

I have read on the internet that Oranges are awesome, taste yummy and a good supply of vitamins

Greedy I know, but I already have an Ibis Mojo HD but will be putting a 180mm Fox 36 on for the Alps and longer travel duties, hence the requirement for a second bike...

I think Oranges are over rated, give me a fine pair of melons any day... ;0)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    get a 160mm fork? takes all of 15 minutes to swap them over... seems pointless to have two HD's given the versatility of them, why not use the HD for 160mm all round and buy a purpose built 180mm rig for the alps and DH, never understood why people fit 180's to HD's yes it warrantied for such a fork, but the rest of the bike lacks the features I'd like in a bike that would benefit from 180mm forks. its too steep, the bb would too high and it lacks ISCG tabs. IMO its much, much more suited to 160-140mm travel and used as an aggro trail bike.
  • lawman wrote:
    get a 160mm fork? takes all of 15 minutes to swap them over... seems pointless to have two HD's given the versatility of them, why not use the HD for 160mm all round and buy a purpose built 180mm rig for the alps and DH, never understood why people fit 180's to HD's yes it warrantied for such a fork, but the rest of the bike lacks the features I'd like in a bike that would benefit from 180mm forks. its too steep, the bb would too high and it lacks ISCG tabs. IMO its much, much more suited to 160-140mm travel and used as an aggro trail bike.

Great points, but I currently have the Mojo with a 160mm RLC 36 Float but having come from an Intense Uzzi with 170mm+ rear and 180mm front for the Alps, and selling it to get another bike, I was wanting to have 2 thorough breads in my stable and although the Ibis is faultless in every way, do I really want another of the same?

Currently I'm 1 x 10 with Lopes Chain device and bash so no need for ISCG tabs, but yes I guess the BB maybe too high, yet to actually ride and see. Being a 'unit' of around 18st (6ft 6" and ex rugby player) anything other than a Fox 36 would be flexy and twangy!.. ;0(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

There you go - whatever turns you on.
    melons-300.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

There you go - whatever turns you on.
    melons-300.jpg

Anything more than a handful a waste?
  • Neither i would do exactly as lawman said and buy a decent coil sprung beats for more aggressive duties.

Otherwise you might as well just buy a talas 180 sell you float and you got it all covered with out even having to swap the fork :s
  • lawman
    Neither i would do exactly as lawman said and buy a decent coil sprung beats for more aggressive duties.

Otherwise you might as well just buy a talas 180 sell you float and you got it all covered with out even having to swap the fork :s

talas 180's are also shite apparently, atleast when you ride them at 140mm, which kinda defeats the point of it if you plan to spend alot of time in 140mm...

something like a transition tr250 would do the job perfectly I suspect
  • lawman wrote:
    Neither i would do exactly as lawman said and buy a decent coil sprung beats for more aggressive duties.

talas 180's are also shite apparently, atleast when you ride them at 140mm, which kinda defeats the point of it if you plan to spend alot of time in 140mm...

They 2 stage only at the moment? get an older 3 stage model so you get the 160mm length :P btu to be honsest I'd be looking as you suggest here or another of the coil sprun 7" as there some of the most fun you can have on a bike :)
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

They 2 stage only at the moment? get an older 3 stage model so you get the 160mm length :P btu to be honsest I'd be looking as you suggest here or another of the coil sprun 7" as there some of the most fun you can have on a bike :)

always been 2 position in 180 form, they're quite a new fork, the 36 180 floats can be spaced to 160 though, kinda defeats the point though...
  • lawman wrote:

I got 160 & 180 Floats already
    I got an Intense Uzzi already
    I got an Ibis Mojo HD already
    I want carbon either Mojo or Carbine, I'm not a fan of Transition, At a push I'd go for a Nicholai but why when I got a 160mm already and want something that I can use to go up as well as down, not just for Alps usage.

Like it's been said 180's I don't believe come in Talas 3 stage, but would never buy Talas again as they are sh*te!.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

I got 160 & 180 Floats already
    I got an Intense Uzzi already
    I got an Ibis Mojo HD already
    I want carbon either Mojo or Carbine, I'm not a fan of Transition, At a push I'd go for a Nicholai but why when I got a 160mm already and want something that I can use to go up as well as down, not just for Alps usage.

Like it's been said 180's I don't believe come in Talas 3 stage, but would never buy Talas again as they are sh*te!.

in that case it seems pretty pointless imo. if the uzzi is set up for the alps, take it and use it as such. No point whatsoever having two HD's as nice as they are... if you're not happy with the uzzi, then I really don't know what to suggest, the difference between a 160mm fork and a 180mm fork on a HD is negligable at best, aside from geometry, which can be acheived with an angleset, much cheaper than a new bike! carbine is another case like the HD, it would be better as a trail bike, personally wouldn't even put a 36 on it to start with, as it has no provision what so ever for a chainguide, barring the top only guides that would be useless on such a bike. which leaves back at square one, keep both and use them as they are, or buy a new updated uzzi.
  • Ibis Mojo HD. I had my made up by Ubyk with Reverb dropper, XT with XTR plus rear mech and Answer carbon bars. It's all about the DW link! - It's amazing!!!
    Mine weighs 28lbs and has amazing acceleration. Mines the matte black carbon version. I was given a choice of Enve, Crankbrothers, NoStans / hope wheels, so I opted for the NoStans Flow Xtr's with gold hope evo hubs. Though if I had the $£ we would go for Enve AM's on the Chris Kings.

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/catalog/product.p ... hite%20%27