Beginner - Cannondale Trail SL4

harders10
harders10 Posts: 25
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello all
New to Bikeradar and first post...

After a few years of flirting with the idea of getting in to MTBing, I've decided to go for it.

I've recently bought a Cannondale Trail SL4 2011. First job was to get some new pedals on it. Now i'm looking at the front fork. Currently it's an RST Omega TnL 100mm. Is this any good? I've not hammered the bike yet and before I do I'd rather know what to expect from the front fork!

Any advice/opinions on this and my choice of bike would be appreciated...

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's not the best, but certainly not the worst fork for this sort of bike/price. They can be prone to 'topping out' when unweighted, which can be felt as a hard clunk. But it does feature hydraulic damping, which adds control. See how you get on, if it clunks and bangs, I'd change it.
  • ats
    ats Posts: 18
    I started with a SL 4 and loved it till some scumbag nicked it .This bike has a excellent frame and is well worth upgrading as and when you can but your right about the forks they won't take much rough stuff so i would start with them .But for now enjoy :D
  • I'm upgrading my forks off my Sl3, RST Deuce coils, they have served me well but I wanted to strip a bit of weight off so have grebbed some Air forks. Bear in mind your frame has a 1.5" steerer which aren't the "norm" on many forks, the ones I have will fit your frame, if you are interested drop me a line could do a deal. Sorry for hijacking your OP.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • Hi all
    thanks very much for your responses. I'll see how I get on with this RST Omega. I'm hoping to get out in the Peak District at the weekend so will give it a decent testing then. Inceidentally I'm hoping to do a trail called Jacobs Ladder. Anyone done this before? Any good?

Woodytitan - Thanks for the offer of a deal for your old fork. At the moment I'm financially on my arse so will have to leave it a month or two before I look to upgrade!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I think maybe the SL4s forks have a 1 1/8 steerer and the bike is fitted with a reducer headset as standard. Although that may be the SL5.

Woodytitan - those Deuce forks work fine, but they weigh an absolute ton. Couldn't believe how much when I changed mine. What are you replacing with?
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    Eh_Rob - They really stood up well for me initially, I'm a big guy but as i've progressed ability wise i have found them wanting so have upgraded to an Air fork, in the LBS now getting fitted and can't wait to try them out.

they are great frames though.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3