Wheel lacing help

roryhopcraft
roryhopcraft Posts: 37
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Looking at lacing up a set of my own wheels, just for the challenge really.

Can anyone help to see if this lace pattern would work.

0x_2xwheel.png

The stars represent the NDS spokes.
Which spokes (forward or trailing) would be head in/out?

Cheers for the help

Comments

• There are mistakes in the drawing, but it appears a standard 2x crossed. Normally the pulling spokes (those going backwards) have the head sitting in the inside on the hub and that is a must on the drive side. The non drive side is more of a grey area, with all sorts of inward/outward pattern, crossed and radial, all acceptable, as long as you don't have disc brakes, if so you have to build the opposite way round on the NDS, hence the pulling spokes will have the head sitting on the outside of the hub. I would also build that way in a single speed, if you want the option to turn the wheel on the other side to engage the other sprocket in a single/fixed configuration...

Does it make sense?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Cheers for the quick response.

So the red spokes on the diagram would be heads in?
    The NDS was going to be radial with all heads in? is that ok on a road wheel?

Also the interlacing is a confusing beast :-) would the pulling spoke (red) go over or under the green spoke?

Cheers
  • Cheers for the quick response.

So the red spokes on the diagram would be heads in?
    The NDS was going to be radial with all heads in? is that ok on a road wheel?

Also the interlacing is a confusing beast :-) would the pulling spoke (red) go over or under the green spoke?

Cheers

Red Heads in, yes...
    But the radial side all heads out

As for the crossings, the red goes under the green... or they wouldn't cross...
    left the forum March 2023
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why should the pull spokes have to be heads in? i laced my wheel heads out so the spokes pull away from the derailer in bottom gear to reduce the risk of it hitting. it also doesnt jam the chain so hard behind the block if the chain was to get caught down the back because of the angle of the outer spokes.