Carbon wheels?

mikezer0
mikezer0 Posts: 122
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Anyone used any of the new carbon wheels? What did you think? Pricey, but nicey?

Comments

• i have though would add that they came with the bike as I would not normally opt to buy them as an upgrade as to be honest they cost a lot and in terms of weight saving Vrs. long term life of the braking rimm I might consider other options first.

What do I think of them; bloody fast indeed, look bloody good, very light & I think it fits well with the all black carbon frame.

I am however considering an upgrade to my cyclo cross bike and I can see that going/looking good with a carbon set of rimms
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Dan: this is MTB, i doubt rim wear from braking is an issue. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mikezer0
    mikezer0 Posts: 122
    dan, which ones do you have?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some have used carbon rims with rim brakes!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I love the DT Swiss carbon wheelset I have on my Cube Sting, they're pretty light @ ~1350g & seem tough enough for riding in the Peaks

Although I didn't pay the RRP they weren't cheap, but cheap enough to not turn down the chance to have a set of carbon wheels!

Don't think I'd pay full RRP for carbon wheels as you can built up a set of alloy wheels much cheaper for not much of a weight gain over carbon
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I have some Enve All mountain rims, used them once, they seem really stiff and direct when steering and roll really fast, climb well... I had 819 UST rims before (that I still use in winter) and the Enve rims feel so much faster and more, well direct, positive and easier to accelerate.
    I'll be using them more when it get's nicer weather.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just don't do it for me! Heavier than the lightest alu rims and eye wateringly expensive. Longevity doesn't seem improved. I'll stick with some slightly less stiff rim that are lighter and 1/10 the price!