Is poploc broken??

markyhud
markyhud Posts: 98
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Whist out on the bike today noticed the cable was slack in the poploc housing on the handlebars. I undid the little allen key bolt on the fork to try and pull some more cable through and felt some kind of pop. Anyway now when the cable is in the housing on the fork and i tighten the allen bolt it doesn't grip the cable. There also seems to be a degree of play in the entire blue coloured cap. I have never had to fiddle with this so I haven't got a clue. Any thoughts?
poploc.jpg

Comments

• There is a known problem with the Poplock "return spring" inside the damping unit itself. You should get a new damping cartridge unit from rock shox for free through your local bike shop. They may charge labour for the installation though.
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What year fork?

If the screw is not gripping the wire you have either not fitted it right or stripped the thread.

Yes there often feels to be some "play" when trying to tighten the screw as the cap try's to move.

Does it move (the cap) fine without the wire?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • :oops: I feel a total knob now!! It's fixed. Didn't realise that Allen bolt was a grub screw that clamped onto cable. All back together and working now but it was quite tricky to get the cable under the allen bolt. Had to push it in with a small flat blade screwdriver whilst I tightened it. Still got no idea what happened when I was out earlier as the cable seemed well loose but seemed like it hadn't slipped atall.
  • Re the 1st answer I can confirm that their was a prob with some shocks apparently a batch used the wrong rubber that swelled up in the oil. Causing the lockout NOT to switch back off.

Just had mine done under warranty.
  • Interesting. I don't have original paperwork for mine as I bought it off eBay. It's a trek 6500 and think its either 2008 or 2009 model. I really can't remember. Did u contact manufacturer or was it done through a bike shop?
  • I mentioned it to my LBS and they sorted it.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    Re the 1st answer I can confirm that their was a prob with some shocks apparently a batch used the wrong rubber that swelled up in the oil. Causing the lockout NOT to switch back off.

Mine sometimes does this. Was yours always doing it, or was it an intermittent thing?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    Re the 1st answer I can confirm that their was a prob with some shocks apparently a batch used the wrong rubber that swelled up in the oil. Causing the lockout NOT to switch back off.

Does the fork have to be less than 1 yr (or whatever the warranty length is) old for them to fix this? I have this problem but mine is 1.5 years old...
  • Sorry guys I need to check back a bit more often.

Mine is 18 months old scott spark 2010. Its a manufacturing defect so should be covered well out of warranty anyhow.

Mine would pop back if i gave the cable a little twitch. It wasn't stuck solid.

I've sent you 2 a PM
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Think Rock Shox warranty is two years... my Lyrik 2-step was
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er