Oh shit what have i done?! (Avid Elixir 3s)

Sammiye
Sammiye Posts: 61
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
...And Can i sort it out myself?!

So I was attempting to realign my girlfriend's calipers/brakepads using the old elastic band round the lever job. Figured i'd sorted it out ok as it wasnt rubbing too bad, but still a little bit. I noticed two extra allen bolts on the caliper itself and thought these might give me some finer adjustment. I opened them up slowly, and a few drops of fluid dripped out. Tightened them up super quick but now the brake lever is really spongy and doesn't really work properly.

What have i done? (presumably i've let the brake fluid out inadvertently) and can i just top it up or does it now need to be bled and all that.

Not particularly mechanically minded but I can manage basic maintenance etc etc. I'll gladly have a go at bleeding it all but as its my girlfriend, she's rather i fuck my bike up first i think!

Any suggestions would be helpful. If i were to take it into the LBS, how much would they charge roughly for a brake bleed/adjust.

Cheers!

Comments

• p.s. nice swear correction bikeradar... :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You have split the caliper and probably let air in. Top up and bleed needed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With a training course on brakes before you touch them again!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah tell me about it! in trouble with the lady.

any ideas on rough costs a bike shop might charge for bleed?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wouldn't it be easier to phone them and ask? Or look on Youtube - it's pretty easy to do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A shop shouldn't be charging more than a tenner, it's an easy 10 mins job (I have juicy 5's and a pucka bleed kit), some will charge less.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • get a cheap bleed kit off the ebay and follow the videos on youtube. it is easy and really satisfying. dont get the new brake fluid in your eye, otherwise you be a zombie