chainrings

daftlad22
daftlad22 Posts: 46
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all . ive split my chainrings down [ FSA ] and when i put em back together do they have a set way or can they go anyhow as long as the bolt holes line up that connect the rings and they are facing the same way they came off , as its got 4 fixing points s, i could fit them at least 90 degrees out if it matters each time i refit
Phil

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They will have a little bump on the inner edge of the ring (and the large ring will have a stud on the inner face) which line up with the crank.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lve lined up the guide lugs and the chain seems to trap and wont sit on the rings snug
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    are the rings the right way round?
    And no its not a sarcastic comment :) They are usually pressed so that only when fitted the right way round, you have the correct spacing between the rings.
  • think so i used the fact that ring would be marked on the inner edges were the chain has moved up and down the rings , it may work when back on the frame as its stripped at the mo as the frame is in powder coat but the chain will not hang on the middle ring only about 5 links sit in the teeth the rest over and out by 1/2 a tooth
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    you can't have them fitted right then, as CD said, each ring has a little lump on the inside and this has to be lined up with the crank arm.
  • all lined up with crank ill see when back on bike as it can only be one of two ways when all lugs line up