Fulcrum 7 bearing replacement

beetle1
beetle1 Posts: 189
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi folks I have a bit of play in the front wheel which is a Fulcrum 7. Anybody know which specific bearings I need, I think they are 6001 2rs but not 100% certain. Are the front the same as the rear and is it difficult to do, thanks a lot

Comments

• look for manuals on fulcrum website... normally sealed bearings are the same front and rear... changing them... depends... Do you have a bearing puller? You might also need some tubing of the right size to tap them in place... so, unless you know what you are doing, the answer is no, it's not a straightforward job

as for the size, bearings have three measurements: internal and external diameter and width, just measure them with a Vernier and order some on a bearings website
    left the forum March 2023
  • beetle1 wrote:
    Hi folks I have a bit of play in the front wheel which is a Fulcrum 7. Anybody know which specific bearings I need, I think they are 6001 2rs but not 100% certain. Are the front the same as the rear and is it difficult to do, thanks a lot

This thread from another forum may help. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=83664

The front seem to have a bit of a trick to getting the covers off, but it's covered in there.
  • beetle1
    beetle1 Posts: 189
    Thanks guys
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Hi

The linked site says use screw bar and nuts to fit the bearings in, but won't that pull directly on the inner race of the bearings? If it does, not good. Should really use a couple of cups that fit between the nuts and the out races, bit like v. small aerosol tops with holes in. Another method I used to use in the motor trade to fit bearings in cast iron hubs, was to heat the hubs (hot water?) and freeze the bearings. When all is ready the bearings just drop, hopefully, fully, home. Job done. Or can't you tap the outer race in with a nail? Mind the rubber seal!!

TrekVet.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're lucky you can use an appropriately sized socket from a socket set to press bearings in; your bolt or threaded rod goes through the hole in the middle.
  • I looked for penny washers of the right inner/outer diameter as the actual pressing surface when I did mine. Get the right ones and they slot over your threaded bar and push evenly on both parts of the race, preventing distortion. You could go the whole hog and buy a pressing kit, but that's more expensive.