So my chain-ring is looking rather ... "Used"

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys :)

Was giving my bike a once over the other day and noticed the lack of teeth on my chain-ring,

Can anyone suggest any new not to expensive ones? ... I was planning on changing the gearing to 2x10 or something rather than the 3x8 that I think its on.

Can anyone suggest good upgrades?

Its a Talon 3 I'm riding.

Thanks
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want to change to 2x10 you will need a new chainset/bottom bracket, chain, rear cassette, rear derailer and shifters. A full Deore groupset can be got for about £230.
  • Yeah I knew I needed to change all that :)

Is the £230 worth the upgrade? :)

It does sound rather good
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Unless the teeth on the current look like sharks teeth, chances are your new chainset will look just like the old one! Lack of teeth is a design feature, not a problem.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only you can say - what is on there already?
  • When I say lack of teeth I mean some are bent to the side and some are lying in a forest somewhere :) lol

And here is a copy and pasted version of whats on it :) lol

Shifters - Shimano Altus 24 speed
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Altus
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore Shadow
    Brakes - Shimano 445 hydraulic discs 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers - Shimano 445
    Cassette - Shimano HG40 11-32
    Chain - KMC Z7
    Crankset - Shimano M361 22/32/42
    Bottom Bracket - Shimano Octalink
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    When I say lack of teeth I mean some are bent to the side and some are lying in a forest somewhere :) lol

Sounds like how it was made! Seriously. If some are 'missing', others bend one way or the other, unless you have actually been bashing against hard things, its probably how they were manufactured. If you look at the middle ring, does it look the same as the outer?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • eh...no :)

There is a large log on a local trail here and I keep trying to get over it and fail :/ ... Maybe I should stop that :O lol

Its not affecting my riding any so I will leave it just now :)