SRAM x9 shifter issue.

phonic73
phonic73 Posts: 60
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got rid of my slx gearing and fitted a new x9 9 speed shifter and x9 rear mech med cage and compared to when I had x9 a year or so ago, this time there seems to be no indication of changing up the cassette by a nice positive click, it only does when changing back down the gears ie to the smaller sprockets.
Is this normal now or is my shifter not right?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Doesn't sound right at all, a nice click is what SRAM are known for!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    Just before the mech self destructs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic wrote:

Well thats what I thought. Basically, Im running SLX cranks, E Thirteen 33 tooth with Gamut P20 up front, with 990 9 spd SRAM cassette rear with sram 991 chain.

My old SLX shifter had more click to it, thinking the shifters knackered maybe !!
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Do the shifters 'click' when you disconnected the gear cable?

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Ill check tonight, from what I remember when I fitted it the other day it was only a slight click, nothing like what I remember from Sram.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Just put new X9 shifters & rear mech on the mrs bike, it also seems to me that it shifts differently, if anything it feels smoother... but I noticed you don't seem to get the positive 'click' into gear that the previous ones had, bit off putting at first, but very light feel.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Yeah, I spoke to the guys at Chainreaction and they said also the newer incarnation of the shifters dont have that positive click to them and feels like someones shoved elastic bands inside the shifter.
    Bummer cos I went back to Sram because of the way it feels, now its worse than my old SLX shimano grrrrrr.