squeaking planet x model c's

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited February 2012 in Workshop
right over the past few days ive noticed my rear wheel has developed a squeak while rolling both under pedaling and free wheeling.

i know the bearings are sealed cartridge bearing but as the wheel is spinning it still feels smooth could it just be abit of crap on the outer seal of the bearing and if i was to take the cone off and clean them and get rid of the salt( the problem started after a ride on some just gritted roads) would that sort it

ive service my old wheels a few times but there open ball bearings and as its my first set of sealed bearing wheels i didnt want to just open them up before i got some advice

thanks alot for any help

mark

sorry ive just reposted this cause i posted it in the wrong place first time round

Comments

• baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Sealed bearing hubs are generally easy to work on, sounds like you might have a dry rubber seal or something, pull it apart and smear a film of grease on any parts that rub togeather or touch and go from there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Can the waggle the wheel in the dropouts (QR closed), if there is some play then it's probably the hub bearings going. They can be replaced with a bit of work and a hammer ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    same reason i stopped using my model b's, so damn noisy
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Its probably not the bearings. In my last set of these, the bearings were smooth but they still squeaked occassionally.

Try stripping the freehub down and regreasing. When you refit the cassette, put a bit of grease on the freehub body aswell. Also, make sure the spokes are nice and tight .