Shimano deore xt shifters

leevil knievil
leevil knievil Posts: 162
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
The cassete shifter is sticking on the upshift, are they easy enough to strip down or is there a quicker way to stop this happening,not sure if it will be rust or crap stopping it I am guessing they are spring loaded. Any advice appreciated.
work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Cables?
  • I think the cables are ok, although on the rear cassette cable I think it has stretched slightly, because when on shifting down to the lowest gear it was slightly slack, since have adjusted with tensioner on shifter, should the cable be bow tight still in lowest gear or slightly slack, I do clean the cables where possible and will change if it's necessary.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it the shifter, the mech, or the cable?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I think the cables are ok, although on the rear cassette cable I think it has stretched slightly, because when on shifting down to the lowest gear it was slightly slack, since have adjusted with tensioner on shifter, should the cable be bow tight still in lowest gear or slightly slack, I do clean the cables where possible and will change if it's necessary.
    Tight, but I think that's the highest gear.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Shifter

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • cooldad
    Don't try and strip it down, you'll never get it back together. If anything take the back off and add a bit of oil. More likely to be cables though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cheers cooldad will have a look, so when in the highest gear ( smallest on cassette) the cable still should be bow tight, maybe the cable has stretched, I know it would be easier to replace cable but would will try oil and tightening cable and try to re-index the gears if needs be just to get used to messing around, would prefer much to do my own fettling.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • cooldad
    Detach the cable from the mech and move the shifter (hold on to the end of the cable to keep it taught or the knobby end can get caught up in the shifter) and see if the cable moves easily and smoothly up and down. If not replace the cable.
    If it is the shifter you should be able to tell at this point.
    Also make sure the mech moves easily by hand - can sometimes get little stones caught in the spring.
    The cable should be tight (they don't actually stretch - the outers can compress a bit though so the effect is the same).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cheers

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Cables do stretch, in the good old days you could buy cable stretching racks which you fixed one end of your cable to and then hang a weight on the other end, you used to do this overnight and the cables would be longer in the morning, these days most quality cables are sold as pre stretched but they still give a mil or two.
  • The shifter was sticking, did as cooldad suggested and freed the shifter up with a bit of penn oil, but also the cable did seem tight in the housing so decided to replace, a very easy job to be fair and what a difference to the shifting good advice thanks all. I was surprised there was no cable wear but the cable housing must get full of crap or just degrade with time.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • cooldad
    99% of the time* new cables sort out shifting problems. Even if they look fine.

* totally made up stat.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • if its the shifter sticking dont put oil in that only makes it worse, take the plastic screw out where you feed the cable in and spray some chain cleaner in there if you have a air line blow this through it, work the levers up and down then see where you go from there it could be full of cack so oil wont get rid of it chain cleaner or a degreaser will
    hope this helps
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • cooldad
    Except the OP seems to be sorted. Shifters rarely get full of crud but lube does 'dry out' - sticking a degreaser in will remove what's left.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools