Split in Frame

tboy823
tboy823 Posts: 102
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just been fettling with the bike when i noticed this

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Not sure when it happened but with the seat post inside the seat tube HOW could it of happened?? :shock:

I did notice that with the seat clamp off, the seat post is very loose in the tube and the seat clamp has to pull the gap in a long way to stop it all moving.

Is this something i should be concerened about?

Should i get it fixed? (i know somewhere that does aluminium welding)

Is it a warranty issue?

cheers
Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    edited February 2012
    id try the warranty route if it was mine
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • i'd say a combination of the seatclamp being too tight and the seatpost being up too far in the tube causing it to crack and the clamp pulling it in has caused it to split.... I woudl say warranty won't get you far tbh... is it definitely the correct size seatpost?
  • tboy823
    i'd say a combination of the seatclamp being too tight and the seatpost being up too far in the tube causing it to crack and the clamp pulling it in has caused it to split.... I woudl say warranty won't get you far tbh... is it definitely the correct size seatpost?

Thanks for the input.

The seatclamp is only as tight as it needs to be to stop the seat post moving, can you overtighten this?

There is plenty of seat post left in the tube, everything from the tape down in the pic

IMG_0116.jpg

I hope its the right seatpost, it's the boardman one that was supplied on the bike!!
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Definitely get it looked at before you start welding if you touch it you instantly invalidate your warranty. Even if its out of warranty you might get a discount on a new frame.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tboy823
    Well the bike in back at Halfords, their Quality Control dept. is sending their Expert to look at it tomorrow.

The lad in the shop said he'd not come across anything like it before and after speaking with the QC bod thinks it might be in for a new frame.

1 week if there's a frame in the UK :(
    6 weeks if they've got to get one in :shock: :(
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• tbikeradar
    tbikeradar Posts: 129
    ask for a full refund
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Don't think they are being anything but helpful so a refund is a bit over the top. If anything they are being more than reasonable offering the replacement frame, worse case would have been them saying the clamp isn't the supplied one (doesn't look it) & it also looks like its a 36mm seatclamp when I'd assume it should have a 34.9mm on. If that's correct they could argue that being the wrong size it's been over tightened to fit, therefore cracking the frame, i.e. user error.
  • tboy823
    Salsa wrote:
    Don't think they are being anything but helpful so a refund is a bit over the top. If anything they are being more than reasonable offering the replacement frame, worse case would have been them saying the clamp isn't the supplied one (doesn't look it) & it also looks like its a 36mm seatclamp when I'd assume it should have a 34.9mm on. If that's correct they could argue that being the wrong size it's been over tightened to fit, therefore cracking the frame, i.e. user error.

How?...... the seat post is in the seat tube, there's a bracket around it that gets tightened enough to stop it moving, how can it be 'overtightened' ?

Anyway - the expert didn't turn up yesterday - so i'm still waiting......
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Overtightened is the wrong word, but the worng size clamp would not conform properly to the seat tube and instead of giving an even radial stress would lead to highs and lows, especially at the tips which are likely to dig in, even worse if you have the the open section aligned with the slot in the frame - which you have (oops).....hope you took the bike in with the right size clamp fitted!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tboy823
    Overtightened is the wrong word, but the worng size clamp would not conform properly to the seat tube and instead of giving an even radial stress would lead to highs and lows, especially at the tips which are likely to dig in, even worse if you have the the open section aligned with the slot in the frame - which you have (oops).....hope you took the bike in with the right size clamp fitted!

Simon

OK thanks - i understand (tho i still don't believe the frame should have split!!) - and have given myself a slap on the wrist :( and have ordered a 34.9mm QR clamp.

but the design of the frame with the open section being towards the front of the bike, with a qr clamp with the lever facing backwards when its tightened, the gap in the clamp is always going to be over the gap in the frame :?
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The wrong size clamp puts forces where they should not be. And the act of having to tighten it as much as you have to keep the post from slipping you have potentially destroyed your frame.

It is also why there are many sizes.

Sorry but user error.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tboy823
    oops
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    even worse if you have the the open section aligned with the slot in the frame - which you have (oops)

Is this a bad thing?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It can be.

But it is normal for some bikes.

See what he manual for your parts say.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    nicklouse wrote:
    It can be.

But it is normal for some bikes.

See what he manual for your parts say.
    I haven't received a manual when I bought the Trance... anyway, looking at the pics from the official site, the slots are aligning, so probably that is the way it's meant to be.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always run my gaps at 180 degrees, no worries about having a QR that is after all situated between your legs, pointing forward, not like a wheel QR that can catch on 'stuff'.

Aligning the slots may or may not cause issues, having them 180 rarely if ever causes problems.....so I misalign.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.