tyre levers

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Simple as that really. Just had to fix a quick puncture, 1st one since I've had this bike (6months so not bad going)..
Anyway, only just about managed to get the tyre back on without snapping the crappy levers I've got.Dread to think about doing it with these anywhere other than a warm garage.

So, after a good pair of no nonsense / none bending / reliable levers to keep in my kit.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Pedros have never let me down even on the most stubborn DH tyres. They're cheap and come in pretty colours :D
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Park ones are good, or learn to do it without :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    +1 for Park levers, know we're only talking about a piece of plastic but they're a world apart from the cheapies that I had lying around the shed
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Topeak Shuttle,not cheap at £7 but bomb-proof and will get owt off 8)
    28714.jpg
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    A twig found on the trail
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    another vote for park tool
  • DodgeT
    Cheers chaps :)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    pedros
    and
    park

did you have to use a tyre lever to get the tyre back on ?? with the correct technique you can get most tyres on with just fingers.. i manged on several occasions to get those stupid foooooooking schwalbe marathon plus things on the bro in laws bike back on using just fingers.. those things are almost impossable to get on,, untill you learn the secret trick..

here

here

follow this neat little trick and you should get tyre back on the rim with out needing to use a tyre lever.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Park and Pedros are good. But not as good as Lezyne's power lever- they've got the best hook on any lever i've used and a decent amount of leverage.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Got some steel Intense levers after breaking a plastic one. The levers are creased along their length with nicely rounded ends, you could probably get a car tyre off with them.
  • DodgeT
    Just ordered 3 pack of park, should be a hell of a lot better than the current (tescos I think) ones..
    Cheers again.
    Will have a look at the secret trick later :)
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    just make sure the bead is in the middle of the rim well instead of round the edges ( where the tyre sits when fully on )

Doing this gives you the slack just to pop it on or off without levers...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • DodgeT
    Some tyres are easily done by hand, but some others I,ve done have been bitches.
    Worst I think were the barons on a roval rim.. Thought the hacksaw was going to have to come out..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't get what people do with their levers. I just use the cheap plastic ones I've had from various repair kits, freebies off magazines and with orders. All work fine if you're doing it right. No need at all for expensive blingy levers.

Maybe depends on the tyres though. I generally have single ply folding Maxxis stuff. Easy to get off and could almost roll them off. Wired ones are more of a bitch but I can still get them off with the cheap levers.
  • DodgeT
    Maxxis and continental MK's and verticals on xt rims, were a piece of wee wee by hand.
    Specialized and barons on these rovals have been a bit tricky, barons by far the worst. All obviously been doable, but I wanted something better for inevitably the next time I get a puncture which will be at night, in the rain, so i want it as easy as possible :)
    Only £2.50 delivered for a pack of 3 anyway.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    deadkenny wrote:
    Don't get what people do with their levers. I just use the cheap plastic ones I've had from various repair kits, freebies off magazines and with orders. All work fine if you're doing it right. No need at all for expensive blingy levers.

Maybe depends on the tyres though. I generally have single ply folding Maxxis stuff. Easy to get off and could almost roll them off. Wired ones are more of a ***** but I can still get them off with the cheap levers.

I think it definitely depends on the tyres, I found the cheap ones perfect for everything i've ever used; untill I tried mounting tome 700c road tyres to my 29er, ended up having to use teaspoon handles after ruining numerous leavers.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I can normally do most tyre rim combos with any old plastic ones but fulcrum5 and michelin lithion2 were a proper swearfest

a variant on the videos is to put the last bit of tyre that you need to pop against the floor and grip the tyre at the widest point, shuffle it down using your bodyweight
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    DodgeT wrote:
    Specialized and barons on these rovals have been a bit tricky, barons by far the worst.

FWIW my Baron came off my Traverse very easily with my Lezyne levers but I think I'd have struggled to get it off without levers. Tubeless DH tyres and Traverses are... interesting. Almost broke my thumbs just getting them off the bead!
    Uncompromising extremist