So this is a horrific.

Fantastic Mr Fox
Fantastic Mr Fox Posts: 848
edited February 2012 in The Crudcatcher
A Briton being extradited to the US for allegedly selling batteries for Iranian missiles described his treatment as "a disgrace" as he arrived at Heathrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17146487

Basically he had an import/export business, he was tasked by a dutch company to move some batteries from Texas to Amsterdam and used a company to get an export license for the batteries. The company he used didn't do the job and get the license, the Texan exporter was actually the US authorities in some sort of sting operation and now this 65 year old is going to a cell for 2 years whilst being on trial. The problem was that the batteries where destined for Iran.

I can't imagine the US would send one of theirs over to us under the same circumstances.

Anyhoo, thoughts? Did the guy know he was exporting the batteries with a license?
<hr noshade size="1"><font color="purple"><center><i><b><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman"> "Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat, one short, one lean. These horrible crooks. So different in looks. Were none the less equally mean."</font id="Times New Roman"></b></font id="size2"></i></center></font id="purple">

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The US does send some of theirs over apparently at our request. It's part of the deal between the two. However there are slightly more Brits who go to US than vice versa.

Also, for the US to extradite a Brit they need to show absolutely zero evidence. For us to extradite an American, we have to provide viable evidence first to convince them.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As a percentage of requests though, we send less to the US than they do to us. In other words - were less likely to send you to the Yanks, than the Yanks are to send you to the UK.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bet he's been doing it for years, so they finally got him. Lucky he won't get the chair.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    hmm, he sounds just like the kind of man who would do whatever it is he is supposed to have done.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Horrific is a bit of an over-statement I think for something that happens as an agreement between two countries regarding (alleged) Criminals.
    It's like when people get "outraged" and find trivial stuff "deeply offensive" :roll:
    Sh!t happens.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp