Replacement forks for a Hardrock Sport Disk?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Following a couple of threads I’ve read here, I’m vaguely contemplating some replacement forks for a Hardrock Sport Disk – On-One have a pair of Rock Shox Recon Silver for £110, which seems a conspicuous bargain. My doubts, however, are . . .
Although several people have written that the Suntour forks that I have now are terrible, they’re the only suspension forks I have any experience of, so I’m not so sure I’ll see a difference. Is it likely I will see an improvement?
The originals are 80mm travel. The Recons are 100mm. Is that likely to be an issue?
Should I be hankering after a remote lock-out as well? I don't find the one on the fork crown any problem to use.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Remote lockout isn't a big selling point IMO, I'm sure some find it useful, but it's not a 'make or break' type thing.

If you potter about on fireroads then you may not notice any difference, if you're on bumpier trails, riding with any kind of speed then you'll probably be glad of the change.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    bails87 wrote:
    If you potter about on fireroads then you may not notice any difference, if you're on bumpier trails, riding with any kind of speed then you'll probably be glad of the change.

My preferred places to ride are woodland trails, some of which can be daylight-under-the-wheels bumpy, and a few other trails which have steps in them here and there. Also popping wheelies in the park to entertain my three year old son - this is a mid-life crisis bike, after all - but not much pottering
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the recons will be perfect for what you want and then some, and you will notice a difference, how do i know?i have them on mine :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i put rebas on mine, still 80mm but transformed the bike completely.....then it got nicked.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    It's a good deal, and I am sure that the difference will be noticeable over that low level Suntour. But, if you came upon a good deal on some Suntour Epicon's, they are good too. :)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • I run the Recon Silver TK's from On One. I've had mine for about 1yr now and I'm impressed with them. Mine are on a frame that was designed for a 140mm fork and they work fine 8)