MTB skills training

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi folks

I'm a keen cyclist but new to MTB. I've booked a long weekend in the Lake this May with the intention of doing some trails - probably the Altura Trail at Whinlatter.

Before I go I'm going to get out as often as I can locally to try and get some technique. I live in Peterborough which has limited local trails.

I'm also considering doing some training and found a company called Get Mountain Biking who run several courses including this Core Skills one.

Has anybody used this company before? Any good?

Does anybody have recommendations for other local training providers?

Thanks
Rich

Comments

• Go see Jedi at www.ukbikeskills.co.uk. End of.
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    beaten to it.. there's only one man for the job and he goes by the name of jedi..

well there's not only guy who coaches that was silly but he is one of if not the best of the best..

and your welcome mr jedi.. :wink:

look at some of his videos this guy can ride,,
  • I've emailed him.

I wonder if for the core skills I might not need to go to the Jedi at £180 for a private session if there are other, perfectly useful, options for less money.

However, I acknowledge my own naivety on the subject.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    One of his public trail skills courses would be a good start and cost about £70-80 I think. Alternatively yiu could do what I have done and book a private group session with 2 mates. Brings it down to £100 each.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Ed Oxley is also very good - google greatrock
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • delcol
    I've emailed him.

I wonder if for the core skills I might not need to go to the Jedi at £180 for a private session if there are other, perfectly useful, options for less money.

However, I acknowledge my own naivety on the subject.

i can not stress how much a decentcoach is worth.. a few hours with someone like tony mr jedi will improve your riding far better than any upgraded part..
    £180 aint cheap i konw but when you think about it,, you dont think twice about spending £2500-£3000 on a bike
    £500-£1000 on a pair of forks £200 pluss on a crank ££££ on brakes etc..
    but the £180 pund on a coach and a few hours will improve your riding far far far far better than any part upgrade.
    the confidence and core skills you will learn are well worth it... when you are railing that drop or clearing that jump or shrelping that corner at speed,, and you have that permagrin on your face and you look back up the trail and think yes i finaly did it... you wil be glad you spent that £180..
  • delcol wrote:
    i can not stress how much a decentcoach is worth.. a few hours with someone like tony mr jedi will improve your riding far better than any upgraded part..
    £180 aint cheap i konw but when you think about it,, you dont think twice about spending £2500-£3000 on a bike
    £500-£1000 on a pair of forks £200 pluss on a crank ££££ on brakes etc..
    but the £180 pund on a coach and a few hours will improve your riding far far far far better than any part upgrade.
    the confidence and core skills you will learn are well worth it... when you are railing that drop or clearing that jump or shrelping that corner at speed,, and you have that permagrin on your face and you look back up the trail and think yes i finaly did it... you wil be glad you spent that £180..

Erm....you might be slightly mislead. My bike was nowhere near £2.5k. It's a Specialized Rockhopper with ugpraded Fox forks, Avid Juicy disc brakes, and SRAM X7 gears. I think it's adequate for my needs just now, and I'll upgrade if/when the time comes.

So, £180 represents a significant investment in comparison and isn't something I can afford to pass off as being like-a-component-upgrade.

Sadly, I have too many others hobbies draining my wallet.

Anyway, The Jedi isn't available until after I've been to The Lakes, so if I want the training beforehand I have to try elsewhere :cry: He has been very quick to reply to emails though, and being busy suggests he really is the man.
  • I'm on a £500 hardtail that's remarkably similar to yours, except no upgraded forks for me...

And the session I had with Jedi remains the single most cost-effective change I could have made. Better forks, better cranks, better derailleurs, better brakes - all meaningless unless you know how, when and where to position yourself and your bike.

I had a go on Jedi's old Bottlerocket while I was there. Trust me, it cost significantly more than my bike did. My riding didn't get miraculously better because I was sat on a pricier bike with a higher spec. It got better because I listened and put into effect what I had been told and shown. On my old bike still, but £180 of better components wouldn't have made anywhere near the difference as some proper training and technique.

It's a shame he's not available until after your ride, but trust me it's the best value money you'll ever spend (bangs-per-buck) on your MTB hobby.
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • And +1 on the permagrin delcol :lol::lol::lol:
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • stimpy_76 wrote:
    I'm on a £500 hardtail that's remarkably similar to yours, except no upgraded forks for me...

And the session I had with Jedi remains the single most cost-effective change I could have made. Better forks, better cranks, better derailleurs, better brakes - all meaningless unless you know how, when and where to position yourself and your bike.

I had a go on Jedi's old Bottlerocket while I was there. Trust me, it cost significantly more than my bike did. My riding didn't get miraculously better because I was sat on a pricier bike with a higher spec. It got better because I listened and put into effect what I had been told and shown. On my old bike still, but £180 of better components wouldn't have made anywhere near the difference as some proper training and technique.

It's a shame he's not available until after your ride, but trust me it's the best value money you'll ever spend (bangs-per-buck) on your MTB hobby.

Excellent - I'm convinced now that training is without doubt a worthy investment. Now I just need advice on good providers, reasonably local to me, that aren't fully booked until May!
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    stimpy_76 wrote:
    I'm on a £500 hardtail that's remarkably similar to yours, except no upgraded forks for me...

ah man, kind words indeed. :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Ive done a few skills courses now and they may seem expensive, look at it as a long term investment that will stay with you way past your current bike.

Worth every penny if your coach is decent, Jedi is highly recommended on here as is Ed oxley.

You won't regret it....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've been Jedi'd as well and certainly learnt a lot - it's important to realise though it won't make you into a cycling god overnight, it's more about showing you how to do things properly so you can then go off and practice knowing you're doing the basics right. I've fallen back into a few bad habits (especially when it comes to looking down the trail) and might do a return visit but I still got a lot out of it.
  • delcol
    I've fallen back into a few bad habits (especially when it comes to looking down the trail) and might do a return visit but I still got a lot out of it.

thats why is pays off to get the coaching as a newbie rider so you dont develop these bad habbits,, as we all know bad/old habbits are hard to brake..

when i first went to whistler back 08 i was a total newbie i had never ridden singletrack or anything technical..
    within the cost of our holiday we had a guide/coach,, so from day one we had someone showing us the right way of doing things so did'nt get the chance to develop bad habbits...

without the coaching i had i would never have attempted to ride things, i dont think twice about riding now.. features i could only look at on my first trips mainly hucks(drops) i hit without thinking about it..

roundthebend
    you say you have this trip to the lakes booked and mention whinlatter, they have coaching there so maybe you good book and do it there as part of your trip...
    cyclewise
  • I love reading things like this, I'm going to see Tony in April and it makes me look forward to it even more.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    nferrar wrote:
    I've been Jedi'd as well and certainly learnt a lot - it's important to realise though it won't make you into a cycling god overnight, it's more about showing you how to do things properly so you can then go off and practice knowing you're doing the basics right. I've fallen back into a few bad habits (especially when it comes to looking down the trail) and might do a return visit but I still got a lot out of it.

This exactly. Although I did briefly feel like a cycling god when I first nailed the tabletop. :mrgreen:
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces