Cycling up to a Sportive

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
Is it best to have a few rest days or just one rest day or even ride right upto one with some easy miles ?

As sometimes I really struggle after a few days off the bike where as after a few days of riding I seem to cope better.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    JamesFree wrote:
    Is it best to have a few rest days or just one rest day or even ride right upto one with some easy miles ?

As sometimes I really struggle after a few days off the bike where as after a few days of riding I seem to cope better.

Have you not just answered your own question?

I'm not sure it would make much difference, unless your non-rest days were big hard mileage days...
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Any "training" you do in the last week won't help, it's too lat. In fact any hard training will do you harm. But just riding your bike, such as a normal commute of couple of hours leisurely riding, wont do you any harm, and from what you say, is probably best for you.

for most of us, the week before an event is good time to earn brownie points from the Mrs. doing all the things about the house you normally don't have time for.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    I believe the general rule with regards to tapering is that you maintain the intensity of your training but reduce the duration. I'd imagine you'd only do that for your main events though as rides at this time of year are more likely to be just training rides.