Prospective first 50

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I've been cycling again for a couple of years now but never really taken it seriously and decided lately that I should consider doing some longer rides aiming initially for a 50 then hopefully by the end of summer look to crack 100 miles in a ride.
I have no problem riding 30-40 miles but I've never managed to go that little bit further, but I've got a friend visiting in April and I suggested this route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/892460 which covers 54 miles and takes in Hardnott and Wrynose passes, and now I'm thinking perhaps I should have looked to suggest a simpler challenge.

At the moment I'm commuting (20 miles round trip) 3 times a week then getting a couple of hours at the weekend do you think this amount of riding is enough? I'm mainly concerned at the climbing as I'm a hefty bloke at 19 stone but hoping to lose at least a stone before then which will make it easier somewhat.
Most of my rides are undulating if not hilly due to the area I live in being on the outskirts of the lake district.

Help and advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Normally i'd say if you have no problem doing 30-40 miles then the step up to 50 is quite easy, you already have the fitness just remember to drink and eat a bit more.

However that route looks quite hard - you'll still be able to do it but it will be one of the harder 50 mile loops in the country and you may suffer a bit in places! Hardknott in particular is an absolute bastard of a climb. If you have to get off and walk there do not feel too bad about it, you are far from alone in resorting to that!

IMO it is great loop to choose for a first 50 as you will have a real sense of achievement at the end of it.
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    Amount youre doing should be ok to get round. Trick is to go slow, so as not to blow up on the hills and for routes over a couple of hours plenty of energy drinks and snacks, so as not to get glycogen depleted. and a nice low granny gear.

Good luck.

You could try practicing cycling up hills if you want to go faster.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • OwenB
    it'll be no more than a leisurely pace with a cafe stop in Coniston, I reckon I could do 50 without too much hassle my only fear is having the big climbs there and mainly down to my lack of hill ability from my weightiness, I've got some reasonably long steepish climbs near to home that I could fit into my loops.
    As for granny gears I've got a triple set up so should have enough (in principle) to manage, but I'm preparing for the occasional push as well!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I cant see the route, but if you're riding from Ulverston, I guess it goes up soutergate, to broughton, up the duddon valley, over birker fell to eskdale, then back over hardknott and wrynose and back via coniston?

The step up to 50 isnt really anything to worry about, but thats probably the hilliest route you could have picked for it. If you've got low enough gears you should be ok though. I saw lots of big lads on last years Fred Whitton, and they were just sitting and spinning up alot of the very steep hills.
  • OwenB
    styxd wrote:
    I cant see the route, but if you're riding from Ulverston, I guess it goes up soutergate, to broughton, up the duddon valley, over birker fell to eskdale, then back over hardknott and wrynose and back via coniston?

The step up to 50 isnt really anything to worry about, but thats probably the hilliest route you could have picked for it. If you've got low enough gears you should be ok though. I saw lots of big lads on last years Fred Whitton, and they were just sitting and spinning up alot of the very steep hills.

That's the exact route, you must be relatively local! :D
    A few of my mates are riding the Fred this year and I would like to do so at some point in the future so that's one of the reasons I plotted this route so I would know what to expect I guess.
  • styxd
    Aye. Ulverston dweller myself.

Hardknott is the toughest of the lot (or Wrynose from the langdale side) so if you can do that then you can do the other hills. Its just a question of whether you can do them after 100 miles!
  • OwenB
    That's where I'm not sure I'd cope!!

And if you see a big tubby bloke out and about on a red and white Giant Defy feel free to say hello!
  • styxd
    You could always go straight up duddon valley and just do Wrynose for a test run. Its the easiest of the lot if you do it from the duddon side (far easier than over from langdale) although its still 25% for a very small part. If you've got a triple chainset you should be ok as you'll be able to sit down if needs be (and still be able to turn the pedals)

I reckon you'll be fine. I'll give you a wave if I see you out and about.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I think Omars right, you would struggle to find a tougher first 50 route in england, plus at 19 stone riding hardknott and wrynose without walking would be a major achievement, far far tougher than just riding 50 miles. I'd say choose a slightly flatter route for your first 50 unless you don't mind the walk up hardknott - good luck!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, if you finish it without walking then you will look back on your first 50 and take a great sense of pride from it...however, I personally don't count walking hills as doing them so if you do end up skidding around on your cleats you may feel like you have let yourself down (which would be the wrong way to look at things given that profile).

Why not pick a decent lumpy route (2,000mtrs in 85km counts as very lumpy in my book so maybe go for 1,500mtrs as your first 50 miler?) but without the extreme slopes? Then for your training, you could pick out the toughest hill on your intended route and trial that as part of a 30 mile loop. When it gets easy, do the hill twice but save the 50 for the day.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    good vid here of harknott from 12.50 minutes in, still doesn't give a true impression of the steepness tho'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtUh1lhI ... re=related
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • styxd
    Heres one for you if you want something with a bit of climbing but not quite as extreme.

Make your way to Newby Bridge (either down the 590, or turn off at Newlands and take the back roads via Bouth)

Go left at the roundabout as if you were going toward bowness, but then go right near fell foot and go up and over Gummers How.

Then make your way through Bowland Bridge and Winster to Windermere.

Then go up Kirkstone Pass, get to the top and go down "the struggle" to Ambleside. Then back to ulverston via Skelwith and Coniston.

Dont know if its 50miles, but its probably somewhere around that. Couple of decent climbs (Gummers How and Kirkstone) but they arent anywhere near as steep as Hardknott.
  • OwenB
    edited February 2012
    That's a brilliant alternative thanks, still 50+ miles and a lot of climbing still, I've plotted the route so will float it past my mate see what he thinks, we can always stop in the Masons Arms on Strawberry Bank for a livener after Gummers How.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/956287
  • styxd
    Yeah its a decent enough ride that one. Gummers How is fairly steep and Kirkstone is just a long drag. If you fancied adding a few extra miles, you could turn off at Haverthwaite and go up Bigland hill. Then make your way over towards Grange and take the back roads to rejoin/cross over the 590 at Levens. Then just carry on past the Gilpin Bridge on the a5074 and make your way to windermere from there.

Misses out Gummers How, but adds a few extra miles and Bigland hill is still a fair climb.