Ebay buyers , give me a break ffs

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Its bad enough selling on Ebay at best of times, but being pestered from foreigners sulking that I wont ship abroad is peeing me off.
I am not a business, I am a private seller. I dont have a minion to do all the donkey work and I have to take time out to parcel things up, shlepp it all to the Post Office, wait 45 minutes in a queue...I have to add only reasonable postage costs.. (previously lost out when it cost more at the counter than I bargained for)

jeesus I didnt know there was a world wide shortage in thigh length rubber waders ... they were once property of a dear departed angler aka poacher in his youth before anyone asks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah those foreigners and their rubber fetishes are just annoying.
    According to the Daily Mail Germans are the most pervy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jgsi
    Yes, I would like to think they would be used for the purpose they were manufactured for by the eventual buyer.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    JGSI wrote:
    Its bad enough selling on Ebay at best of times, but being pestered from foreigners sulking that I wont ship abroad is peeing me off.
    I am not a business, I am a private seller. I dont have a minion to do all the donkey work and I have to take time out to parcel things up, shlepp it all to the Post Office, wait 45 minutes in a queue...I have to add only reasonable postage costs.. (previously lost out when it cost more at the counter than I bargained for)

jeesus I didnt know there was a world wide shortage in thigh length rubber waders ... they were once property of a dear departed angler aka poacher in his youth before anyone asks.

+1 You tell them i WONT post to foreign country`s and they STILL bid FFS !!!!! - and to add to that you get e-mails from folk in Nigeria wanting to to send it to their cousin in Belgium and they have just registered to Ebay that day.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited February 2012
    JGSI wrote:
    Yes, I would like to think they would be used for the purpose they were manufactured for by the eventual buyer.

I wouldn't be so sure...

IMG_1041a.JPG

Edit: There would appear to be a 'whole world of wadery', (not easy for Jonathan Ross to say) out there! :shock:

5031963920_9993eb3867.jpg
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    But why not send overseas? Have a post to GB price and a post overseas price. I am used to paying more both on this site and ebay. Its a bit annoying when you source a bit of kit you have been looking for on ebay and you are blocked from bidding coz you are overseas. BTW I am talking bout bike gear not dubious looking fishing/diving rubberwear.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Click to revise your item and then under the P&P options there is an option to set up an exclusion list. This stops anyone from bidding from the excluded countries - easy when you know how. 8)
  • jgsi
    I have the exclusions set, but they is still obviously trawling the UK site.
    I am not about to trust someone to send me another £40+ to cover overseas postage just on their say so... not withstanding it gets flaming well complicated with PayPal and if YOU get it wrong, ..... who loses?

and excuse me this is genuine expensive angling gear, NOWT DUBIOUS ok?
  • corona
    Apologies, I'm sure there is nothing dubious bout what you are selling. Why not ask for postage up front ? On this site I have bought something, and the seller has asked for an extra 20 pounds or so up front for extra postage to Qatar, I have then trusted the seller to refund what they havn't spent to my paypal account.
  • jgsi
    I suppose I just want a simple sale at the end of it.
    Ebay don't make it easy for private sellers anymore to factor in different postage rates to different countries.
    As I have mentioned before I have miscalculated and made a ' loss' on postage to buyers which is not earth stopping but still a daft thing to do.
  • corona
    I have never sold anything on ebay so I can't really comment. As I have said already it is a bit annoying to be barred from bidding just because of where i live (just now). I fully understand the wish for an easy sale but a lack of a decent bike shop here means i have to resort to the internet. I appreciate that it will be more expensive to send here so as i have said, have a UK price then have an overseas price which more than covers your postage.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Problem is if the buyer says they don't receive it, Paypal will refund the money. Short of sending by courier, there's not much a seller can do to prove it arrived. Just a PITA for most sellers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jgsi
    cooldad wrote:
    Problem is if the buyer says they don't receive it, Paypal will refund the money. Short of sending by courier, there's not much a seller can do to prove it arrived. Just a PITA for most sellers.

Exactly my point in restricting to the UK.
    There is just a few of us idiots who remain private sellers on Ebay, most 'businesses' will sell to you regardless of location.
    My 'wellies' are doing well btw.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    What difference does it make if you sell in the UK or abroad? If the seller says there is a problem, doesn't matter where it was shipped! You can get it signed for when sending abroad just as easily as sending it in the UK.

And as others have said, you can set the postage price for out of the UK in advance. Just jack up the postage cost so much as to deter foreign buyers (and set the bidding restrictions so that no 'new' buyers can bid.)

You still have to go to the post office and send it, no matter where it's going!

Or just sell to UK buyers only and stop whining about it. :lol:
  • JGSI wrote:

jeesus I didnt know there was a world wide shortage in thigh length rubber waders ... they were once property of a dear departed angler aka poacher in his youth before anyone asks.quote

If they are prepared to pay for shipping in full and the purchase price , and you do not ship until funds have cleared out of paypal into your bank account , then why not ??? you are hugely restricting your market which could hinder your final selling price . I just sold my Scott Addict to a guy in California , who was happy to pay £122 shipping etc . cheers Tim
    Britannia waives the rules
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 pm
    timmyturbo wrote:
    If they are prepared to pay for shipping in full and the purchase price , and you do not ship until funds have cleared out of paypal into your bank account , then why not ??? you are hugely restricting your market which could hinder your final selling price . I just sold my Scott Addict to a guy in California , who was happy to pay £122 shipping etc . cheers Tim

...14.5 hours later....

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm
    timmyturbo wrote:
    Hi all i had a cretin from USA bid on my bike with low feedback , i cannot get hold of him . so buy it for £730 . or i would break it if their was enough interest.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12837519&p=17457989#p17457989
  • mfin wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:
    Hi all i had a cretin from USA bid on my bike with low feedback , i cannot get hold of him . so buy it for £730 . or i would break it if their was enough interest.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12837519&p=17457989#p17457989

I expect some interfering twazuck pointed out that they could get it 50p cheaper if they bought it elsewhere off of the internet.
    :D
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • "Oh No.... My wife's gonna Kill me!!"

p.jpg
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    I've sold a lot on ebay, and I won't sell to foreign buyers generally.

There have been exceptions; usually when what I've sold isn't worth anything and I'm just taking a chance on it, but most of the time it's not worth the risk or the hassle.

There are tales aplenty of the buyer saying that the item never got there and people being a lot of money out of pocket. In the UK you are able to use a 'signed for' service when you post and then you have proof of delivery.

The older I get, the better I was.

• I've sent things all around the world via ebay with no particular problems. You can always use International Signed-for or Airsure for costly items http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/overseas-letters-parcels