Handlebar iPhone Dock

Tegglington
Tegglington Posts: 65
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Good Morning Ladies and Gents.

I am aware of some rather fancy apps that can be downloaded these days, and after a bit of a kerfuffle of pressing start, placing my phone in my rucksack pocket, then having a mad rush to get it out and press stop again at the other end, is it time to start looking at a handlebar mounted dock?

Just wondered if many people have had much experience and after some advice on the best of the bunch really?

I am currently using the "map my ride" app are there any better apps out there?

all advice and past experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Safe Rding!

Comments

• Endomondo and Strava are both superb free apps, strava in particular if you are competitive as you can compare your times with others over various segments of your ride whereas endomondo will automatically post your ride to facebook etc. I use both but since installing Strava I think it's better.

I'm in the same boat as you and was also considering an iPhone holder until I had my first accident and I'm fairly confident the phone would have been obliterated if it was mounted on the handlebar so I'm now back to sticking it in my rucksack for the extra protection!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • I was using my iPhone on a handlebar mount until I upgraded to a Garmin 800.
    Like Porly, I was concerned about phone protection upon the (inevitable?) fall, but more prevalent was the problem of rain/mist, which caused a scramble for plastic bags, etc. Unfortunately, these measures ended up being ineffective also, as they tend to "sweat" inside.

Having said that, I am sure that there are some highly expensive models out there that will guarantee moisture protection, but as a devout cynic, I would be wary!!

How about one of those joggers armbands, or the like?
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • Now then, you may be onto something with a joggers armband....

and they are a lot cheaper than a mount...

Good Work Sir!
  • Glad to be of assistance :-)
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro