School Run Mothers

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
I've been cycling a while but have only just this morning started to commute via bike. And noticed a common theme - School run mothers being totally unaware of cyclists. At one point, a mother was getting her 2 kids into the car, which was parked on the road, she was trying to get them into the read door which opened onto the street, as a cyclist rode past, which naturally prevented her from opening the door. At this point she screamed at the cyclist, for making her wait. As I was behind, I made the point of stopping to explain that if that was a car that had driven past, she would have had to wait, why is a bike any different?? Bloody idiot!!

Anyway, rant over.
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• quite a reasonable rant, infact if i'm out on a weekday theres route I take just do avoid the school mums -i actually had a red clio slow down beside me and the woman say that I should be riding in the gutter*- also theres a route where taxis pick the kids up and lthough careful drivers (touchwood), you can up 10 whizz past at any one time.

*thing is she was fit and I wouldnt have minded driving in her gutter, and by gutter I mean vaginas and by driving I mean power stroking a golf ball up there.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Usually a "F**k Up" will keep them quiet - They are NOT worth trying to argue the point.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Any pictures of their norks? Just for research sake, that's all.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Anyone else think this was going to be Aggieboy's latest installment of art?

EHurley_SchoolRun_GL_28Sept11_rex_b_592x888.jpg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone else think this was going to be Aggieboy's latest installment of art?

EHurley_SchoolRun_GL_28Sept11_rex_b_592x888.jpg

I'd have pixelated that blazer too......

Even through the pixels you can see his "Just try and trump my Mam in the MILF stakes, I dare you" smugness.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Pross
    I just hope he isn't in the same school as Elle MacPherson's kid then :)
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Yes....the bloody school run mums. Why is it they require huge people carriers to carry their tiny precious cargo?
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    School run mums notice feck all, about anything!

My father in law lives near a school, he was coming out of his drive one day when a school-run-mum parked across the front of it. She got out and took the kids out and was heading down the road. He called them back and explained he was trying to get out.

"i'll only be a few minutes" she said.

He told her that was no use to him, he was going to be late for work by then.

she said "you obviously don't like children do you?" as if that had anything to do with it.

Far worse though is two mums in a car with their kids. This combination is as lethal as four chavs on crack in a nicked car.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    edited February 2012
    Was semi-filtering down a tricky road (hills road bridge in Cambridge, for those who know) when a lorry blew past my left, blowing my head into the wing mirror of a school mum run's land rover on the right.

She was at the front of the queue so I stopped in front in the ASL. Suffice to say she got out and started hurling abuse at me, with her Tarquin cosied up in the back. I mean, real abuse.

I eventually turned around and asked why she didn't cycle her son to school like my mother did, to which she responded that she wasn't crazy -" look at all the 4x4s about"

:roll:
  • Pross
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Yes....the bloody school run mums. Why is it they require huge people carriers to carry their tiny precious cargo?

Maybe they have 4 or 5 kids?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Just let them be angry and count yourself lucky you aren't them. They're obviously not very happy.
  • rick_chasey
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Just let them be angry and count yourself lucky you aren't them. They're obviously not very happy.

I wouldn't be happy if I spent 2 hrs of my day every day ferrying kids to and from a school that costs £12k a year and is miles away from home, when there's a perfectly fine one down the road for free, albeit with the odd poor person, heaven forbid.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Exactly.
  • The amount of traffic generated by people getting their kids to school is actually quite incredible given how much easier the drive to work is when they are off. I'm not sure where it all changed, I'm not that old but I will sound like and old git when I say I never once went to school in a car, it was a walk to the village primary until going to secondary school meant getting the bus service provided. Does this not happen anymore?!
  • it is odd the amount of traffic - it must signify some kind of change. When I was at school (what a great 3 days they were) the last thing you wanted was your mum or dad waiting at the gate, you wanted to walk home and get in as late as possible - too much molly coddling. Solution - create a gary glitter academy - see how keen the mums are then to get little murgatroyd to garys little pleasure dome*

*this is a reference to Kubla Khan and not mr glitters bellend, which by all accounts is less than savoury.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Our boy's school used to have a combined cycle + foot path that the council in its wisdom decided wasn't wide enough to meet some regulation or other, so they grassed it over. The alternate route to the school is via a narrow footpath, so instead of hordes of kids biking or scooting, loads more are delivered in cars.

I'd love to meet the bell-end who decided no path is a better option than a path. Some people just have no clue at all.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    nweststeyn wrote:

I wouldn't be happy if I spent 2 hrs of my day every day ferrying kids to and from a school that costs £12k a year and is miles away from home, when there's a perfectly fine one down the road for free, albeit with the odd poor person, heaven forbid.

You would if your childrens education benefited from it. You're looking at the world through rose tinted glasses, and until you actually have children and have needed to fully research schools on their behalf, you may well find that's a naive and sweeping statement.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

You would if your childrens education benefited from it. You're looking at the world through rose tinted glasses, and until you actually have children and have needed to fully research schools on their behalf, you may well find that's a naive and sweeping statement.

Touched a nerve?
  • Aggieboy
    Not at all.I've had/have children in both private and state education. Just pointing out that that's a very easy statement to make until you have those decisions to make for you and your children.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Not at all.I've had/have children in both private and state education. Just pointing out that that's a very easy statement to make until you have those decisions to make for you and your children.

I made the decision myself when I was 12.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:

What you felt was the right decision for you may not be the right decision for your children, though?
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

What you felt was the right decision for you may not be the right decision for your children, though?
    I'd suggest that's very unlikely.

There's plenty more to school than what you learn from the teacher.

It's also about learning to get on with other people in society, from whatever background, not just kids from families who can afford to send their kid to that school.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

It's also about learning to get on with other people in society, from whatever background, not just kids from families who can afford to send their kid to that school.

Sounds like the decision is already made Rick :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rick_chasey
    MattC59 wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Sounds like the decision is already made Rick :wink:

Certainly is.
  • Pross
    The amount of traffic generated by people getting their kids to school is actually quite incredible given how much easier the drive to work is when they are off. I'm not sure where it all changed, I'm not that old but I will sound like and old git when I say I never once went to school in a car, it was a walk to the village primary until going to secondary school meant getting the bus service provided. Does this not happen anymore?!

It only takes a very small percentage decrease to make that difference. Also, a significant number of parents will be off to look after their kids in those weeks so it isn't just the school run. When I'm off work I walk my daughter to school but most days the wife drops her off as it is on her route to work so would be pointless to walk her there, walk back and pick her car up. Our elder daughter walks every day, only about 1.5 miles each way though. There are quite a few 'stay at home mums' who drive similar distances just to take the kids though.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    So Rick, just out of interest (I'm not trying to change this into a private vs state school thread, 'cause I can't be ar*ed); money aside (as this is often the real decision maker), if the choice was a poorly performing school full of scroats, or a private school, where would your kids go ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

That's another sweeping statement. There are plenty of children at private schools who don't come from a privileged background. I know parents can hardly afford to send their children but work every hour they can, they scrimp and save and go without to do so. Others have bursaries and scholarships to assist.

Anyway, each to their own. You could always take some advice from Diane Abbott when the time comes :wink:
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    I often do the school run with our son, who is 10. I've found the mothers to be the rudest most inconsiderate group of drivers I've ever experienced in all my 28 years of driving. I honestly can't imagine riding my bike amongst them.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    bagpuss
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    School mums ... Sherman tank. Probably :)
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg