Look as though I have been attacked by a dog!

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hmm,

I fitted some DMR V8's to give me more grip as I found the pedals my GT came with were rubbish when wet. I always wear 3/4 baggys but it seems that when ever I get home from a ride the damage the pedals do to my calfs and shins make it look like I have been savaged by a terrier!! Is this just something everyone has to live with, or will it get better as I get better and have to make less foot down fall saving moments? I really dont want to go the spd etc route. I am I alone with this or does everyone else with spiky pedals suffer the same fate? Any ideas how to help stop it? :cry:

Cheers.
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope my feet stay on the pedals as chose some that fit my feet insteat of being too small like the V8/V12.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nope my feet stay on the pedals as chose some that fit my feet insteat of being too small like the V8/V12.

Ahh, should clarify, my feet arent slipping off, its where I instinctivly put my foot down to save a fall and the pedals clatter my legs.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Then you're doing something wrong, your pedals shouldn't be hitting your legs. I don't use flats any more, but when I did I never had this problem, the odd accidental slip and smash (Ouch!) but not putting my leg out and hitting the pedal.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    My shins look like the surface of the moon on a microscopic level, but as Bails says, you must be doing something wrong, I only do that when it's one of the grip/slip issues, not when putting my foot down. Anyway, last time I checked, chicks still dig scars :P

If you're really not loving that 'wonderful' feeling of metal stealing your skin, then invest in some knee/shin pads :)
  • tv
    tv Posts: 338
    if you are going to invest, something like this might be good - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72456 i have a pair of veggie shins that i may be thinking of getting rid of, pm me if interested
  • tv wrote:
    if you are going to invest, something like this might be good - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72456 i have a pair of veggie shins that i may be thinking of getting rid of, pm me if interested

Thanks for the offer!! I did consider this - but I have got mahoosive calves - I struggle to get Wellingtons that fit me! So I dont hold out much hope for off the shelf stuff..... :(

Perhaps I need to improve my riding and use the leg savaging as a carrot. I was actually discussing this with my mate this morning who is an experienced rider and he said if slowed down and didn't try to go at eveything like a bull at a gate, I might save myself quite a bit of soft tissue trauma!. :oops:
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Never happens to me. Get the odd few scrapes on my calves but that's from when I am being lazy and pushing the bike
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Ahh, should clarify, my feet arent slipping off, its where I instinctivly put my foot down to save a fall and the pedals clatter my legs.
    i think i know what you mean here, when you put your foot down, your bikes still moving forward underneath you, bringing the pedal round, i used to do this quite a bit, it eventually stops itself, because you improve and don't have to put your foot down to save yourself, must admit though, most of mine have happened when pushing the bike out of the garden to go for a ride, limited space and gate to open etc
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I am sure this happanes to everyone when they first start.

There is posts and posts if you look around about foot placement. heals down and whatnots

Let your feet come up over jumps.
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    i think i know what you mean here, when you put your foot down, your bikes still moving forward underneath you, bringing the pedal round, i used to do this quite a bit, it eventually stops itself, because you improve and don't have to put your foot down to save yourself, must admit though, most of mine have happened when pushing the bike out of the garden to go for a ride, limited space and gate to open etc

Exactly!
  • tv wrote:

Or save yourself £20 and get a pair of these.......works for me :wink:http://www.sportsdirect.com/puma-v3.11-slip-in-shin-guards-816008
  • chez_m356
    castlelad wrote:
    there not going to protect your calves though
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I guess your technique needs a little bit of tweaking :D You will get used to going with the bike, feeling as one, floating over obstacles :D
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • GT_Dave
    GT_Dave Posts: 161
    What ever you are doing I am doing exactly the same but only my right leg for some reason?

i have a permanent series of scabs right down my shin that match the studs on my DMR V8's!

It cant be technique cos I am amazing :lol:

Whatever the cause is its better than the elbow/back/face/neck/leg injuries I get by trying to stay clipped in :D
  • GT_Dave wrote:
    What ever you are doing I am doing exactly the same but only my right leg for some reason?

i have a permanent series of scabs right down my shin that match the studs on my DMR V8's!

It cant be technique cos I am amazing :lol:

Whatever the cause is its better than the elbow/back/face/neck/leg injuries I get by trying to stay clipped in :D

LOL. I just want to know why it never hurts at the time, but stings like heck in the shower afterwards and the next day, its like a pack of hungry pirannas swimming round my legs! :shock:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the only time i tacho my self is usually when i'm walking pushing the bike ie up hill..

if you have to dab try putting your leg/foot out sideways slightly just enough to clear the pedals.. when you come to a stop lean over to the side putting your prefared foot down,, this way you wont strike your shin or calf....
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    Yeah my right shin is the same they get deep in sometimes to. I tend to get mine when my legs are feffed and i need to give it a push up a hill :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Yep, both my calfs are covered in scars and cuts..

I get them from when im standing over my bike and walking through gates ect..... Or I fall off..

I got a big shark bite esque mark from the chainring from an over the bars moment, the bike flipped round to follow me and the chain ring stabbed my calf....

so yeah...

just MTFU ;)
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • chez_m356
    Rushmore wrote:
    I got a big shark bite esque mark from the chainring from an over the bars moment, the bike flipped round to follow me and the chain ring stabbed my calf....
    thats just the bike taking retribution for you planting it :lol: ...hmmm, how do i know that? :wink:
  • Three scarless flat years for me. Perhaps you need to retrain your terrier?