Getting to Bourg D'Oisan in August

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,905
Thinking of heading to the Alpes in August but it doesn't seem the easiest place to get to. I went last year and drove down but it was a bit of an epic journey (and pretty dull). Are there any alternatives?

Comments

• Yeah, fly to Grenoble then hire a car, not the cheapest way but probably the quickest.
  • phreak
    All the places I looked only went to Lyon. will try again tomorrow. any recommendations?
  • It depends how you do the drive and how long you're down there for.
    London to Bourg, Google reckons 12 hours via the tunnel.
    How long by air? 1 hour to the airport, 1:30 checkin, 1:30 flight, 45 min bags, customs. 30 min car hire, 2:00 Lyon to Bourg. Total 7:15 plus the hassle/worry of packing the bike/bikes, fares, excess baggage fees, car hire (£30/day in France at least) etc.
    When my wife and I go down we usually stop at Reims and have a nice meal and a few beers get to Bourg around 15:30 the next day. Then we've got the car for when we're there. Last year 3 of us went to Bourg St. Maurice, left Hindhead (just the other side of Guildford) at 7:00 used the ferry (fat boy breakfast in Langans) and got to Bourg at 8pm. We did drive quite fast though!
    I suppose we could always have a Top Gear style race!! (without the Reims bit though)
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    As you're in London, Eurostar to Paris/Lille, TGV to Grenoble and then a bus to Bourg.

Even at rush hour with a bike bag the RER from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon was easy and the bus station is attached to the train station in Grenoble.

Book early and you should be able to do the return trip for about £120.
  • phreak
    That sounds feasible. I don't have a car in London so would have to hire one if I drove down. Would prefer taking public transport as it wouldn't be a wasted trip.

How long does the journey by train take, and is there a site you can book it all in one go?
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    It takes about 6 hours from St Pancras to Grenoble and then about an hour on the bus to Bourg.

You can book it all through either Rail Europe (http://www.raileurope.co.uk) or directly with SNCF (http://www.voyages-sncf.com) - tickets go on sale 90 days in advance. For some reason last time I did it it was cheaper to book with SNCF - no idea why.

The bus is about €5 and you can by a ticket from the station or the driver.
  • phreak
    That sounds just the ticket, thanks.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    can you fly to Grenoble in the summer ? Every time i've looked it up I could never get a flight there.