13 year old wanting to start track racing

Dave1441
Dave1441 Posts: 96
edited March 2012 in Track
Hi I'm 13 and I'm looking to start track racing at Manchester veledrome but I don't understand how to
Get into the events there and also if it is worth it saving for a track bike? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hi.
    You could try contacting the manchester velodrome and they could tell you when there may be junior open days and training and you will meet other teenages who will advise you.
    I would not buy a bike yet, go do some beginners sessions on a hire bike first until your sure, and then I would advise maybe buying a second hand bike initially, they are always available from people who have outgrwon theirs or just given up.
    You may wish to try the veloriders forum on which nearly all the track riders are on, including juniors, also many track coaches are on there.
  • Are you in a club ? if so does the club have a coach ?
    Remember you are classified as a Youth
    Check out this:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/track/ ... ack-Racing
    Dave1441 wrote:
    Hi I'm 13 and I'm looking to start track racing at Manchester veledrome but I don't understand how to
    Get into the events there and also if it is worth it saving for a track bike? Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Best is to join a club that regularly participates in the velodrome training sessions - you can hire bikes at the velodrome
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for all the info it is much appreciated and my other question is is it necessary to have an actuall all in one jersey and shorts or separate if you know what I mean.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You mean a skinsuit :D you can just wear cycling shorts and top though once you ride track regularly you would find a skinsuit slightly more comfortable for the crown jewels :-)
  • Ah yeah that the word thanks OWM.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Just spotted this thread. There should be a Development Officer (or whatever they are called) for your area, and there are some very good clubs in your area that will point you in the right direction and encoutage her. Elder Noodlette went along to track cycling a couple of years ago (not Manchester) and I found that everyone was very welcoming and helpful, hope you find likewise.
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    check out Eastlands Velo they are based at Manchester velodrome and have produced quite a few stars who have progressed onto the ODP (Olympic Development Programme)

http://www.eastlandsvelo.com/

Good Luck
    B
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...