100 yr old doing the hour

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Respect to this guy.

French cycling enthusiast and centenarian Robert Marchand (L) is assisted by coach Magali Humbert (2R) before setting a new record in the Master 100 years category on the track of the International Union Cycling on February 17, 2012 in Aigle. Born on November 26, 1911 Marchand rode 24.25 km (15.1 miles) in 60 minutes watched by crowds of cheering supporters at the International Cycling Union (UCI) velodrome .

AFP
61a0577e6c9212ce73f8db2171662543-getty-508949721.jpg
0f13f549841e9d4feb98047e67ef33c5-getty-508949192.jpg
ec8c1cbe123453cf623467afbe4073dc-getty-508950834.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Christ. Born in 1912?
  • Christ. Born in 1912?

Thought Christ was born c 4BC?

Oh. I see the punctuation now...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Christ. Born in 1912?

When did you expect a 100 yo man to be born?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Brilliant, hope i'm that fit when i'm 100!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Hero.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Christ. Born in 1912?

Brilliant! can hardly see to type through the tears!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    johnfinch wrote:
    Christ. Born in 1912?

late 1911? :P
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:
    Christ. Born in 1912?

late 1911? :P

Or even mid-1911. :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He needs some work on his position, doesn't look very aero. :wink:

Joking aside, what an inspiration. Long may he continue to ride.
  • Is this like the new hour record where you have to ride a "regular" bike? If not he missed a trick with not having the full monty of aero carbon
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    What a star.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Fabulous. Just hope I can still ride a bike when I'm that age............if I get to that age of course.
  • cajun_cyclist
    cajun_cyclist Posts: 493
    edited February 2012
    I know of one centenarian who was a strict vegetarian, no sugar, the great Joe Rollino: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/nyreg ... ym4997fLHg . I would be curious as to Mr. Marchand's diet. Very good for him.
  • “But basically, I am like everybody. I am lucky that I haven’t had any major health problems. My advice to anyone, young or old, is to keep moving. I do ‘physical culture’ every day. It works out my whole body and keeps me supple. Some people when they reach 80 years old, start playing cards and they stay immobile. Not me. I’ve never been able to keep still…”

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... s-old.html
    Then we get onto the subject of the other sports he was involved in when he was younger: boxing, gymnastics (French champion in the pyramid – he was the lightweight at the top), weightlifting (“I was good. I could have been a champion”).
    ) ... whose world performance stands at 24.251 km (15.0688 miles)

Of course said in the 1st post, thanks FF.
    He has been told not to go raise his pulse over 110, and it is a rule he respects with reverence. Well, most of the time: “I did climb a steep hill not long ago and went up to 134 but it’s best to avoid that,” he admits with a mischievous chuckle. “But I would be very surprised if I had heart attack,” he offers spontaneously. His optimism would appear well-founded: his first ever cardiograph last week revealed that his heart was in excellent condition.
  • inkyfingers
    I did a charity walk a few years ago with some family friends and met a guy who I assumed was in his mid 60s, very fit and very flexible. I was amazed when later on somebody told me he we 88, he put it all down to doing Yoga and walking everyday.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Looks like Toe Clips vs. Cleats/Clipless Pedals. Going Retro and why not? Steel Bike, D. Girard and yellow goggles, I've got some yellow goggles, get them out for the winter and I think yellow work okay at night.
  • Good lad! I bet he bonked both the birds later !
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • inkyfingers
    Good lad! I bet he bonked both the birds later !

That might have got his heart rate over 110...
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • Good lad! I bet he bonked both the birds later !

That might have got his heart rate over 110...

They might be regretting the unguarded moment when they quipped 'yeah, when you break the hour record'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    French cycling enthusiast and centenarian Robert Marchand (L) is assisted by coach Magali Humbert (2R) before setting a new record in the Master 100 years category on the track of the International Union Cycling on February 17, 2012 in Aigle. Born on November 26, 1911 Marchand rode 24.25 km (15.1 miles) in 60 minutes watched by crowds of cheering supporters at the International Cycling Union (UCI) velodrome .

Does that mean he is the one on the left of the photo? If so he's in very good shape (and looking very feminine!) :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Christ. Born in 1912?

No, it says born November 1911 in the OP :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    He did 24,251 km within the hour, but afterwards said he could have ridden quicker, just didn’t want to, with the thought that he hoped to take the record without pushing himself to his limit.

I find more impressive that when he was 90 he took part on a Bordeaux-Paris race open to everyone and managed the 600 km in 36 hours, sleep stops included.
    And that his average daily ride is still around 100 km. (That's my minimum aim in a whole week between March-October)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    knedlicky wrote:
    He did 24,251 km within the hour, but afterwards said he could have ridden quicker, just didn’t want to, with the thought that he hoped to take the record without pushing himself to his limit.

I find more impressive that when he was 90 he took part on a Bordeaux-Paris race open to everyone and managed the 600 km in 36 hours, sleep stops included.
    And that his average daily ride is still around 100 km. (That's my minimum aim in a whole week between March-October)

Those facts make him far more impressive.
    24.2 km in a hour, I can do.
    Bordeaux-Paris or 100km per day - I don't think so.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky wrote:

Interesting. But 100km a day! That is pretty unbelievable :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    knedlicky wrote:

I read that in his mid-90's he decided to reduce his spins from 150km+ to 100 km as he wanted to be able to keep cycling for a few more years yet.

After all this, he'll probably test positive for EPO and Wurthers Originals.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My first thought when I heard he was going for the record was it'd take him ages...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • LangerDan wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

I read that in his mid-90's he decided to reduce his spins from 150km+ to 100 km as he wanted to be able to keep cycling for a few more years yet.

After all this, he'll probably test positive for EPO and Wurthers Originals.

Thats insane.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Sad to revive this thread, but Robert Marchand has died aged 109
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    He would have seen the Tour de France before the yellow jersey.

Recently he'd moved from his flat in Paris to a nursing home but still had a home trainer
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme