Turbo and mtb - complete newbie help needed

Megwump
Megwump Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,
I've just bought myself a turbo to help me get in shape, and I have a Specialized Hardrock sport, probably about 6 years old. I know that I'm not supposed to use mountain bike tyres with a turbo, but I don't want to change tyres regularly so I guess I need a new rear wheel with a slick tyre. To be honest, I don't know what I'm looking for, and don't want to walk into Hargroves saying 'can I have a wheel please' and look like a total div.

Help please!

Comments

• If you cover costs, I can send you a rear wheel for V-brakes which would be good for a turbo. Run straight just look crap.

You don't really need brakes connected at all, and then just a cheap slick tyre on a rim, and your good to go, plus casette of course.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    If you go down the spare wheel route you will need the wheel, cassette, tyre and the right inner tube for the tyre. You can get turbo specific tyres from the likes of continental and Schwalbe (no cheap though) but in all honestly a cheap slick from halfords would do. Speaking of halfords, there rear wheels are fairly cheaps and could prob also get a cheap casette from them as well. Remember to get the right cassette. i.e. if you have 8 speed rear gears then get an 8 speed cassette etc
  • Thanks both. Having talked it over with my other half, we think it will be a while before I actually get outdoors on the bike (arthritis and recovering from pneumonia), so we're just going to change the tyre for now - I say we...I mean him!