Bike for a 9 year old

chrisw333
chrisw333 Posts: 695
edited February 2012 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi

I am looking for a bike for my son who is about to turn 9.

He curently has an Islabike Beinn 20. He likes the brand and it really helped his confidence when we first bought it. (He's not a strong rider and the isla was a revelation after his first steel monstrosity - big mistake)

I think he would fit a Beinn 26 small, but at £350 it is out of my price range.

I have been thinking about a Specialized Hotrock 24 - watching a few on ebay etc or have seen a new one for £242
http://www.bestbikeproducts.com/product ... 2201&rs=gb

Any other recommendations for 24" decent kids bikes? Anyone else spotted any bargains out there or got one for sale?

Thanks

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Whereabouts are you? I have a Hotrock A1 24" in Berkshire. You need to make sure you go for the A1. The one you linked to is the lower model which has a much heavier frame and poor components - he wont thank you after having an Islabike. The A1 is (in my opinion) comparable to the Islabikes and one of the few options that is, but its less money!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Careera Blast 24" is worth a look depending on what Halfords ae selling them for - they come down to around £200 when there is a promotion on - you may find a second hand one too.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Thanks Tomo. I had a look at a blast at the weekend, but currently selling at £275. They look like decent bikes but they have disc brakes which I think my be guilding the lilley at this age. I also thought it was a bit heavy, but I'm not sure how it compares to the likes of the Hotrock in that respect.
  • apreading - sorry missed your post. I have seen the A1 frames on the net - wasn't sure if this was just aesthetics or strength & weight.
    Berkshire is a long way for me (Midlands) but how much are you looking for and what's the age & condition like?
    Many thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Check out the Trek MT220 as well.
    We bought one for my son when he was 8 and sold it two weeks ago after 3 and a half years of good use.
    Trek kids bikes are 'dialled' for small riders and have plenty of adjustment for when they grow.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    chrisw333 wrote:
    apreading - sorry missed your post. I have seen the A1 frames on the net - wasn't sure if this was just aesthetics or strength & weight.
    Berkshire is a long way for me (Midlands) but how much are you looking for and what's the age & condition like?
    Many thanks

Sorry - I am not in the midlands any time in the next month either, apart from a visit to Cadbury World next monday when I will have all the family in tow!

I wont do posting for bikes either, so probably a non-starter.

Anyway - a pic below.

P1000496b.jpg

They go on ebay for asround about the £180 mark second hand, sometimes more. This is definately the best bike other than an Isla (in some ways better as more gears and suspension, which works unlike many childs bikes). I recommend you look for this if you want something more affordable but equally good. I am sure you will find one locally if you keep watching ebay.

Only go for the A1 version though - all others are HEAVY, this is superlight.
  • Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.
  • I bought my son a Carrera Blast 24 and he loves it, the front susupension does actually work on them and its not too heavy at all for him (he's 7 years old).

I got his 2nd hand for £60 so there is some bargains to be had if you look around/wait. Try your local gumtree and adtrader as well as ebay

Lee
  • My 9 year old son has a Giant XTC 24" and loves it. We ride every wekend and it needs little maintenance, solid bike. It has made him a little too much quicker for my liking though!