BC online entry

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited February 2012 in Amateur race
Is it first come first served with these races or does the organiser still have discretion to pick a field?
More problems but still living....

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Organiser decides when they set it up. And you lose your admin fee if the organiser decides they don't like you.

Personally I think you'd have to do it with that system, otherwise you'd end up not being able to turn away people you simply don't like...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Do they do that? i never had and neither would anyone else i know ....... unless it was my brother :)
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Admin fee is only 60p. You'd lose a stamp and an envelope normally, so it's not that bad.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Yep its whoever the organiser picks. I've just been denied entry to the Spring Chicken road race :( 60p down the pan! :lol:
  • Herbsman
    Is it because you're no Spring Chicken?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • DavidJB,

How do you find out when you have been denied entry? is this an immediate decision?

And under what grounds were you denied? I was looking at that race recently and it isnt full yet!!
  • jibberjim
    Organisers can exclude people for any reason they want (although there might be recourse in law if you could show it was for racial etc. reasons but that's seperate to the rule of the sport)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    stuartlc wrote:
    DavidJB,

How do you find out when you have been denied entry? is this an immediate decision?

And under what grounds were you denied? I was looking at that race recently and it isnt full yet!!

Hi ya, I spoke to the organiser and he said it's because I'm a 4th Cat and he's oversubscribed. You get an email form BC with the decision when it's been made, if you're a 4th cat I wouldn't hold your breath though.
  • mamba80
    That cxxp ! its not as if a 4th cat pays less for their licence or even that the organiser says up front they will manipulate the field from 1st come 1st served basis ... bet ya life though if come close of entry and field isn t full they will contact you for your money :(
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    mamba80 wrote:
    That cxxp ! its not as if a 4th cat pays less for their licence or even that the organiser says up front they will manipulate the field from 1st come 1st served basis ... bet ya life though if come close of entry and field isn t full they will contact you for your money :(

More likely to get you to pay eol if short.... at double the price.
    I am not that bothered how BC organise things as although 1st race is 3/4 and paid via online, my racing is LVRC for the rest of the season . I just want to get through without any hassle that seems to run thru lower cat racing with the number of posters declaring their ability to crash at will.
    One thing I have noticed... things are popular
  • amaferanga
    mamba80 wrote:

The organiser should be selecting the field IMO. First come first served is a nonsense. I think preference is normally given to juniors, then local riders from organising clubs. Not sure what criteria is used after that.

From my couple of years of racing I've noticed a couple of things: early season races always seem to be more popular and most people that turn up hoping to EoL do get a ride. EoL costs more, but I've never seen it anywhere near to double the advanced entry price.
  • jibberjim
    Organisers should select fields! Preference to local riders who assist in promoting races, then by category, especially for road races in areas poorly served by races. Fair enough a crit or handicap in the south east where they'll be maybe 8 races a week doing it on a first come basis, but a road race in the south west, selecting a field seems entirely reasonable.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Each to their own - personally for a lower cat race I do first come first served - I think it's a nonsense to say that that is a nonsense !

Whatever - you organise a race it's your right to choose the selection criteria - I've no problem with whatever criteria people use so long as it's clear what it is.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Exactly right, it is the organisers choice.

Personally I think first come first served does not give you the 'best' or most appropriate field for a race. Our criteria is generally, local riders we know, riders from local clubs who promote races that our members ride, juniors.

Nearly all 3/4 cat races are well over subscribed so some people enter months before. I would always wait until the closing date and then choose the field you want. I am not sure how easy it will be with the online entries and being able to see their results, but at least if you are viewing them online it is up to date where if someone enters on an entry form 3 months before the event you will not know any recent results.
  • mamba80
    Although i can see the attraction of "picking" a field, isn t it open to abuse? ie flood it with your riders/team/mates to disadvantage perhaps a far better rider? maybe folk dont see that as slightly immoral?
    i dont know but its not something we ll be doing (at this regional level of racing).
    We ve had riders from all over the country come down to race and it adds to the field and the event... who knows what you may get???? :lol:
    Does anyone check what people write down? i ll have to be more honest in future! :oops:
  • amaferanga
    mamba80 wrote:
    Although i can see the attraction of "picking" a field, isn t it open to abuse? ie flood it with your riders/team/mates to disadvantage perhaps a far better rider? maybe folk dont see that as slightly immoral?

What you're saying makes no sense. Surely entry on a first come basis is much more likely to lead to this? If an organiser picks the field then he will almost certainly pick a field that will lead to an interesting race, not one dominated by a single team.
  • mamba80
    Perhaps there is no one way to do this? Either method can lead to one team domination!
    As both an organiser and competitor, i d like to think that my entry will be accepted on an equal footing to any other BC rider and not subject to "who you know"
    I think perhaps if the organiser makes it perfectly clear which option they will use and its stated in the regs than that would be great.
  • Herbsman
    First come first served is equally open to abuse. You could get your entire team to send their entries in to you way before entries open, guaranteeing them a ride.
  • When setting up the entry using the BC system you can create it as "first come, first served" or as a "managed entry". If you set it up as a managed entry no entry fee is taken until after the closing date when the field is picked....

You can use the BC site to figure out peoples current points (although it could be made easier) so don't need that from the rider either.

The system is not perfect (for example it cannot notify people that they are reserves), but it is a pretty good first step from what i have seen so far.