GPS logging site user? Check your privacy settings

jomoj
jomoj Posts: 777
edited November 2012 in Campaign
If you're a user of a GPS logging site like Garmin Connect, MapMyRide, Endomondo etc. then you may want to check and consider changing your privacy settings.

Garmin for example have default privacy set to 'share' so that means any ride you upload is publicly searchable and visible to anyone. A quick look in my local area searching under 'cycling' and the word 'home' showed up loads of tracks called things like "ride home from work", "training loop from home" which basically amount to a location where a bike is kept.

Whats more, it would generally be an indicator that the bike may be valuable if the owner is a 'serious' enough cyclist to track their routes by GPS

A friend of mine recently had a break in at his home where 3 bikes were stolen despite some high security locks and floor bolts. It was clearly pre-planned and the thieves were equipped with cutting gear and a van.

A quick look at the local police site shows another stolen bike in the vicinity, listed as being equipped with a Garmin GPS. Possibly coincidence but sometihng you may wish to think about.

Comments

• ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    good point - thats why i`ve started using strava as you can block out a distance from selected point ie 500m from home or work and it wont show on the route
    i need more bikes
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yes, a detailed log of when you are in the house or not combined with forum signatures listing several k's worth of bike is a potentially lethal combination.

Bryton do this as well - I requested a change but they seem to prefer it the way it is! I don't know why - in the early days it did result in lots of rides appearing but now there are so many rides there that are of no use or interest to anyone but the owner or burglars that you can't actually find anything that is worth riding :lol:

Note also that on Brytons site, I have on a couple of occasions found my settings have gone back to default requiring the rides to be re-hidden. Garmin may be better here but it is worth keeping an eye open.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • deadhead1971
    deadhead1971 Posts: 338
    I was quite amazed to discover that very few of my fellow club riders have secured their settings on strava. I made a quick video to promote the issue, showing how to protect yourself.
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/05/lo ... e-thieves/

hope someone finds it useful
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • When I registered on the Garmin site it asked me what privacy settings I wanted IIRC.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I think most sheds/ garages in Britain have a bike to nick, I'm not sure that anyone would need to study mapmyride in great detail.

Map my run on the other hand! I for one will be changing my settings and not leaving my trainers under the barby anymore :D
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    True but not all of those bikes are worth a few grand so it's up to you how blasé you want to be about it depending on your own circumstances