Do I need to swap the rotors?

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
I have Tektro Draco Hydros on my GT and after much fettling, pad resurfacing etc I have come to the decision they are just pants. No initial bite or progression and about as powerful as Mr Bean. So....I am going to swap them for some Avids / Shimanos - the question is do I have to swap the rotors too, or can i use the original tektro discs and just change the callipers & levers?

Is this a stupid qiestion? Maybe - I will soon find out!! :wink:
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They'll be fine, as long as they are the right size. Rotors are rotors.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    You can use the original rotors, a rotor is a rotor. Just be aware that some rotors cause brake stuttering or vibrations. But nothing to worry about if you haven't experienced that with the current setup.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Thanks guys, i guess the rotor size is dictated by the position of the mounting points on the forks? ie if you fitted 160mm rotors onto a bike that originally has 180mm rotors on, the callipers / pads would miss the top edge of the disc? Currently the front is 180mm and the rear 160mm. So I can buy any brakes and they will fit?

Cheers!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty much! Just use the existing mounts.

But I think your problem may be contaminated pads/rotor, so make sure you clean the rotor first if you get new brakes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tektro's design process seems to involve a certain amount of copying Shimano anyway tbh. (do the Dracos use Shimano-sized pads like the Aurigas?) Wouldn't recommend Avid personally- they're mostly not terrible but not good value. Shimano or Formula.

Still I'm surprised you can't get decent performance out of them, my Aurigas weren't exactly cutting edge but they were perfectly decent. Definately echo what SS says, it's always possible the issue you're having lies with or has affected the rotors.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Tektro's design process seems to involve a certain amount of copying Shimano anyway tbh. (do the Dracos use Shimano-sized pads like the Aurigas?) Wouldn't recommend Avid personally- they're mostly not terrible but not good value. Shimano or Formula.

Still I'm surprised you can't get decent performance out of them, my Aurigas weren't exactly cutting edge but they were perfectly decent. definitely echo what SS says, it's always possible the issue you're having lies with or has affected the rotors.

I have fitted some new clarke pads today and given the rotors and callipers a danm good cleaning with muc off brale cleaner. will see how it is tonight on road ride.

Cheers for the advice everyone!!