Tyre Discusion

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Right guys,

I just want to get some idea's for Tyre's, At the moment i run a 2.5" Maxxis minion DP up front, and a high roller 2.35"on the rear.

I'm just getting a little fed up with the maxxis size of Tyre as i have to get a Duel Ply to get a solid amount of width. heard very good things about the Muddy Mary at the moment for all conditions and that they have a good size prifile in 2.35 pretty much bigger than a 2.5" maxxis.

I know i rant a bit about size but i really do find bigger air volumes very comfy, and good on rocky/rooty downs where i live.

What do we all use? and why so i can generate ideas :P

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Round rubbery ones. To stop my rims grinding away.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Have run maxxis ignitors in the past and they also seemed to come up small. Just switched to continental vertical 2.3 on the front. Wanted something that would be good in all conditions as the terrain I ride varies a lot. I don't run the sort of sizes you do but the conti comes up as wide as it says and the grip has been amazing in these crappy conditions of late. Can't wait to try it in the dry but it will be getting a run out @ lee quarry this weekend so I'll see how it handles rocky stuff.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Round rubbery ones. To stop my rims grinding away.
    sex+pistols

Anyway...

I'm a bit of a specialized tyre fanboy, had a look at the clutch sx?
  • cooldad
    Excellent answer - use x because I'm a fanboi.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    I can only go what I have tried, but if you're looking for an all-rounder that comes up relatively large then take a look at the Conti Rubber Queens. Seem to work on most conditions and I've done everything from trail to light DH stuff (FoD, CC) on them without getting a punture, though I am using the UST's - not sure if you can do tubeless?

I have 2.2's and they are plenty big enough, so the 2.4's will be big - I heard on another forum that the 2.4's are noticeably bigger than 2.5 High Rollers. The black chilli versions seem to have pretty good grip as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Ran my Rubber Queens on some sticky mud and they really couldn't clear it like my Swampys could. Other than that they have been a great tyre and do have good volume.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I found Rubber Queens pretty gash in the wet tbh... Too big to cut but not knobbly enough to shovel, and they didn't clear well. Good in the dry though. Baron has impressed me as an all-rounder, sure it's a little slow but I've not yet found anything it won't grip on

If you can find a Specialized Clutch Control, then that's basically a downhill tyre on a trail carcass- slow, but sticks like spunk in the bath. Clutch SX is the same thing but tougher/heavier.

<edit- said Captain by mistake!>

In conclusion- Kenda Nevegal 2.35.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Just trying out the Schwalbe Hans Dampf. Unlike normal schwalbes these:

1. Grip, even in the wet
    2. Are big
    3. Are tough as

However they are still only 750g, which I think is ok. Worth a look for sure.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    @ kenan & northwind: probably the one condition I haven't tried the RQ's in is serious slop, but given the size and tread pattern they're probably not ideal for that sort of thing. If it's going to be muddy enough to warrant a mud-specific tyre then most 'all-round' tyres will struggle a bit, but it sounds like the OP isn't looking for a mud plugger.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Northwind
    Not comparing with mud tyres though... I went back to my Nevegals after the rubber queens, and they're much better as an all-weather allrounder. Bit slower, but more capable in more conditions.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Went to find a 'hidden' DH track today and met a few locals. They were all running single ply 2.35 minion f's front and rear, and it was probably the steepest, slippyest DH i've ever ridden.

After my thread the earlier in the week, I figured I'd asked their opinion and wonder why they were running the smaller tyre and in single ply.

Basically, less weight, less drag and still a predictable tyre (when using the f on the rear).

Defo my next trial on the Canyon.
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    At least im peddling something good not an orange 5
  • bennett_346
    Northwind wrote:
    If you can find a Specialized Captain Control, then that's basically a downhill tyre on a trail carcass- slow, but sticks like spunk in the bath. Clutch SX is the same thing but tougher/heavier.
    Hmm, i have a captain control on the rear, it's very much an xc tyre, fast rolling and minimal tread:

22886.jpg
    Captain control
    spec%20clutch%20sx.jpg
    Clutch SX

The captain is very good though
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

I have read on the internet that Orange 5's are the best bikes ever and made in England, so you are possibly an ignorant foreigner.
    Are you a member of the SNP?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Ah hah. I will now go back up the page and edit that bit where I said "Captain" to say "Clutch" instead, doh!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Northwind wrote:
    Ah hah. I will now go back up the page and edit that bit where I said "Captain" to say "Clutch" instead, doh!
    Yeah i wasn't sure if you meant the ground control because to me it looks like a minion DH rear but more xc.
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I have read on the internet that Orange 5's are the best bikes ever and made in England, so you are possibly an ignorant foreigner.
    Are you a member of the SNP?
    No but i am from the north.

Are you from the Slurrey Hills?
  • cooldad
    Nope, I'm from the seaside resort town just southeast of you.

But I did manage to escape.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, I'm from the seaside resort town just southeast of you.

But I did manage to escape.
    Sunderland? Escape you did my friend...
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Won't beat a minion up front. If you've gotta go double ply then do it coz the tyre is a beast. I go with 2.35 though, I think that's enough. Ignitor on the back, like it being thin, cut its way through. Slippy today on the ice but it gives plenty of warning before it goes completely.
  • Northwind
    Honestly I don't think the Minion is as good as the Clutch. Pretty comparable on grip, but draggier and faster wearing (comparing with a supertacky anyway) and when a minion lets go, man it lets go. Minion does turn in faster though, Clutch is a little more neutral (which I prefer, but ymmv)

Minions are great, don't get me wrong but they're not the only game in town.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Not tried a clutch so I can't comment. Never had the minion let go, super tacky is super draggy I agree. Might try a clutch next but I do like the way the minion dives in to a corner like you say.
  • I agree with Northwinds last statement... I'm sure there are loads of awesome tyres out there (possibly better than the minion for what I want).

BUT I know the minion works in 85% of conditions I ride in and I've never had any real problems... maybe the DHR does let go a bit toooooo easily though!

If a MTB tyre didn't cost more than a car tyre, i'd probably be more willing to try a few others :lol:
  • Northwind
    There is no Minion DHR, "DHF" stands for "Downhill, Frontandrear." :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    Northwind wrote:
    There is no Minion DHR, "DHF" stands for "Downhill, Frontandrear." :wink:

I'm confused. Is this some sort of trick way of saying the Front works better both ends than the DHF/DHR combo?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    It's me trying to be clever, not neccesarily succeeding. I think most folks use the DHF on both ends, or another suitable tyre on back, rather than the DHR. Have to say I liked how the DHR acted when it lost traction, very nice, but then again it lost traction a lot more than I liked.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yarp the Minion F(front) is better in most peoples opinions on the front and back :)

Have to say, Definately like the duel ply (although obvious penalty) And i spend more times on the downs. Monkey are they 2.35 Duel ply there running? as even i can fold a single ply maxxis when its at lowish pressures nearly off the rim so thats always a worry. but 2.35 maxxis is too tiny for my taste, doesn't even register as 2.1" too me.

Tempted to try and find some blue grooves from kenda again had some good experience for pure grip from them.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Up until not too long ago I only used 2.5 ST Minions on the front of my bike but then I started using a 2.4 Advantage and that has become my all round tyre now. Grippy, very predictable in most conditions and rolls soooo much better than Minions. Plus it is bigger than the 2.5 Minion so that should please you if you want a bigger tyre. Never feel the need for more grip on most normal trails but I am tempted to try an Ardent on the front since that is meant to be even grippier at the expense of some rolling speed. I already use one on the rear of my DH bike and like it so it should be great on the front.

I do however still find myself swapping back to the 2.5 Minion for proper DH and some natural trails but I still ride them fine with the Advantage.

2.35 Minion isn't so hot on the front IMO, the size of it really lets it down since it doesn't stick to the ground as well as a bigger tyre and it still doesn't roll as fast as tyres that are bigger and grippier than it but it does still make a very dependable rear tyre.
  • peter413 wrote:
    Up until not too long ago I only used 2.5 ST Minions on the front of my bike but then I started using a 2.4 Advantage and that has become my all round tyre now. Grippy, very predictable in most conditions and rolls soooo much better than Minions. Plus it is bigger than the 2.5 Minion so that should please you if you want a bigger tyre. Never feel the need for more grip on most normal trails but I am tempted to try an Ardent on the front since that is meant to be even grippier at the expense of some rolling speed. I already use one on the rear of my DH bike and like it so it should be great on the front.

I do however still find myself swapping back to the 2.5 Minion for proper DH and some natural trails but I still ride them fine with the Advantage.

2.35 Minion isn't so hot on the front IMO, the size of it really lets it down since it doesn't stick to the ground as well as a bigger tyre and it still doesn't roll as fast as tyres that are bigger and grippier than it but it does still make a very dependable rear tyre.

Let me know how you end up feeling about the Ardent, heard alot about of it, but it looks like it would be awful if there was a tad of damp on the roots and rocks, as you can imagine in wales the ground is rarely bone dry, but not really muddy due to the rocky well drained nature of alot of the trails :)
  • benpinnick
    If you liked the Blue Groove, you should definitely consider the Hans Dampf. I know I keep banging on about them, but as an all round tyre I've found little to touch them to date.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.