Gloves for 3 year old

scrumpymonkey
scrumpymonkey Posts: 49
edited February 2012 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi all,

I've trawled all threads that have been posted up previously regarding kit for young kids. I'm having real trouble finding a set of gloves to fit my lad. He's just making the transition from a balance bike to a Cnoc 14 and as he currently has no fear, it's only a matter of time before he takes a proper fall.

So has anyone who posted previously had any success? All sensible responses greatly received :D

Comments

• Not sure they'll hurt hands much if they do fall, both mine were riding before 4 and apart from my daughter catching the kerb at speed which required stitches in chin age 4 no injuries.

In warmer weather track mitts would be fine - small sizes in Halfords. May be worth a look for gloves as well.

Smallish children's cycling gloves and track mitts (and loads of other good value kids kit) are available in Decathlon (but sadly not on line) but not sure go down to a 3 year olds size.

Mine just wore their normal woollen supermarket gloves or ski gloves depending on temperature. As we rode a lot we needed ski gloves for them to wear on child seat when they were 3 anyway.
  • I insist that my now 5 yr old always wears gloves. Had the problem that when younger couldn't always find a pair that would do the job. 6 months ago I bought xs "grown up" endurance mitt. Have been an excellent buy. Know he's older than yours but check lbs out for similar perhaps
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Her depiction.
    6122267211_ef90876ab2.jpg

The reality.
    6102638918_6759e5f148.jpg

After 2 mins, she got on her bike, and promptly decided to ride home the long way.

She has gloves, and wears them if the occasion suits. ie: longer distances. Off road. Etc. Just like her parents.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • I have boys aged 5 and 9. For most of the year they wear their fingerless gloves and there are no problems. The colder it gets and the thicker the gloves need to be, the greater the moans about not being able to brake etc. Then it is just a case of whatever glove they feel comfortable in, some protection from the cold etc being better than nothing. No easy or one size fits all answer.
  • Thanks for the responses, been an absolute nightmare this one. Think I might start my own brand and get a chinese manufacturer to start knocking them up. Got a pair of motocross gloves in the end. Slightly on the big size but better than anything I could get from lbs or halfrauds.
  • Thanks for the responses, been an absolute nightmare this one. Think I might start my own brand and get a chinese manufacturer to start knocking them up. Got a pair of motocross gloves in the end. Slightly on the big size but better than anything I could get from lbs or halfrauds.
    Let us know when you up and running then. But make sure you do 5yr old too!
  • Have you tried ASDA or Decathlon?
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    There's definitely a market for childrens cycling clothing. Decathlon seems good. When it comes to winter my boy who is 4 wears normal mist or gloves. Anything really that keeps his fingers warm.
    Cycling shorts/leggings for a thin 8 year old were a nightmare to get hold of.
  • Teach. (and everyone else). Try Islabikes for shorts thermals and tops. Pricey, but like the bikes, good quality and lasts. My now 5 yr old has been wearing the shorts since he was 4. Granted slightly large but not in negative way. Think we may need to badger Isla to start making kids gloves!
  • NB I have just bought him some Altura winter gloves XS size. Do the job perfectly. Just a thought.
  • Just to update you, I bought the motocross gloves using the online sizing chart. Just a little surprised that the gloves we received were no where near the claimed size. Oh well back to the drawing board. Anyone know a good manufacturing contact in China?