Another which bike thread - Merida Matts 20-MD

nickhopkins07
nickhopkins07 Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Sorry about this guys, I'm sure you regulars get tired of newbies signing up to pick your brains.

I've not ridden a bike since I was a kid, but I've moved inner city and I'd like something to get me around and out of the car for trips, but on the flipside would like to get out into the countryside, probably nothing too 'xtreme'. I don't want to do my usual thing of spending a fortune from the off, I want to get something sub £300 and see how I get on.

I've seen the Merida Matts 20-MD here:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... TS-20D.htm

Seems like a lot of bike for the price, I can't find any real reviews on it (maybe a sign in itself?) though, the company seem big players in the bike world and their higher end stuff seems to get good reviews, does anyone have any experience of it or can suggest an alternative? I've had a look in the what bike thread, but everything seems discontinued?

cheers for any help/input

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's ok for the money - some nice parts, but the fork is a clanker. However certainly a bike worth upgrading in the future.
  • Cheers for the reply mate, so say after 6 months I did want to upgrade the fork, what would you suggest would be a decent upgrade that wouldn't be overkill given the bike?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SOmething like this would be a great upgrade:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... K-2012.htm

Can often be found cheaper. Has oil damping for improved controlled,
  • Have you thought about 2nd hand? Someone on here may have a bike for sale, alternatively fleabay? You are likely to get a much better 2/3 year bike that someone is selling.
  • I've been keeping an eye on ebay, but tend have to pick up so narrows down what's realistically available, I've not looked on here, will have a butchers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For what you say you want, keep an eye out for a Carrera Vulcan, typically £100-200, reliable and common as muck, any in reasonable condition will last you a while and they'll have a better fork than that Merida.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Simon,

Is there any difference between the Vulcan and the Vulcan XC?
  • Supersonic, I've just noticed in another thread you said Merida Matts Pro-D http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Merida+Mountain+Bikes/Merida+Matts+Pro-D+Bike+2011+Model+18+Only_MATTS-PROD.htm with a fork upgrade is an exceptional bike for the money, excluding the fork, how much better is the Merida Matts Pro-D compared to the Merida Matts 20-MD?

I'm struggling to find any used bikes in realistic travelling distance to collect, from Portsmouth at the moment.
  • So I'm still ummming and arrring over which bike to get, I'm now wondering if an out and out mountain bike is really right for me, at this stage at least. Would I be better off with a decent hybrid that I can get around town on but still get off the beaten track on? If I find I'm using it more out in the countryside could I upgrade the core parts, fork/tyres etc, to make it more suitable?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you buy a hybrid it will always be a hybrid, the farme will be wrong for it ever to be a real MTB, the only one that would come close in your price bracket to being an 'OK' MTB is the Carrera Subway which you can fit MTB tyres to and a short travel fork, also you can get it with discs making it easier to upgrade them, even so it will never be more than suitable for light XC use.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers mate, I can probably stretch to the £500 mark now I reckon (maybe even a touch more for a decent deal), does that give any other options?