Whats most beneficial?

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited February 2012 in Amateur race
Hi people,

A quick question regarding some crit racing which starts next month.

Is it better for me to ride with a heavier wheelset that makes use of my powertap (so I can read/ride/record data) or should I be looking to ride with the best set of wheels that I can and ride with a simple HRM and/or computer on the bike instead?

Thanks.

Dru

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,446
    If I was riding a 4th cat race at Llandow I would use the cheapest equipment I have!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    powertap for training-light wheels for racing :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Powertap - the weight of the wheel will make no difference to your race.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Crits = lots of turns and accelerations. Heavier wheels require more energy to 'spin-up' therefore lighter, stiffer wheels are the preference. I often race without a computer or HRM - means I'm not distracted by the 'numbers' in a race.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I alway race with my best/fastest equipment. Why buy it otherwise.

Also, I'm curious what the benefits would be of have power data for a crit. You certainly won't be looking at it during the race.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    dawebbo wrote:
    I alway race with my best/fastest equipment. Why buy it otherwise.

Also, I'm curious what the benefits would be of have power data for a crit. You certainly won't be looking at it during the race.

Me too (if any benefit) thats why I'm asking the question.

I have a powertap on my training wheel as I've been training with power for the past 2/3 months.

I got it originally for training and also for using in time trials (with the use of an aerojacket) but I've suddenly been drawn into the possible world of crits and road racing.

I have a set of 50mm carbon tubs (planet X ones) that I can use if these are better for racing.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    as far as I remember, there are no hairpins at Llandow and it flows pretty well, so the only major accelerations required will be for changes of pace, as opposed to sprinting out of tight corners. Use the powertap if you want, as I doubt it will put you at any particular disadvantage...
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    dawebbo wrote:
    The idea is to capture data for later analysis on software such as Training Peaks or Golden Cheetah.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    No point in training with power if you don't race with power as well IMO. Racing is the time when you see what Watts you're really capable of and should highlight your weaknesses. It may weigh a little more, but the extra weight is in the hub so it's less important. FWIW I raced all year last year with a PowerTap, but don't think I looked at my power output at all during a race (I did one 10m mile TT and used it for pacing though). I'd still always choose to race with power whenever possible.
    More problems but still living....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Dont forget it can be very windy at Llandow so may not always want to use deep section rims unless you want to get blown into rider next to you :D
  • amaferanga wrote:
    No point in training with power if you don't race with power as well IMO. Racing is the time when you see what Watts you're really capable of and should highlight your weaknesses. It may weigh a little more, but the extra weight is in the hub so it's less important. FWIW I raced all year last year with a PowerTap, but don't think I looked at my power output at all during a race (I did one 10m mile TT and used it for pacing though). I'd still always choose to race with power whenever possible.
    +1
  • forget the minimal gains this time around
    only race with what your prepared to replace

especially in a wet and windy llandow crit with far to many noobies riding their first ever race :s

also I'd hate to think the guy sat next to me or on my wheel is far to preoccupied with trying to hit 200w instead of concentrating on what he's actually doing
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    acidstrato wrote:
    also I'd hate to think the guy sat next to me or on my wheel is far to preoccupied with trying to hit 200w instead of concentrating on what he's actually doing

It's not about knowing your Watts during the race. Only an idiot would be looking at their Garmin or bike computer when in the bunch.
    More problems but still living....
  • theres probably a very thin line between an idiot and a novice riding their first race. I know what these crits are like and the people that ride them. get around safely and learn ready for the next event. that would be my advice
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,446
    Pseudonym wrote:
    as far as I remember, there are no hairpins at Llandow and it flows pretty well, so the only major accelerations required will be for changes of pace, as opposed to sprinting out of tight corners. Use the powertap if you want, as I doubt it will put you at any particular disadvantage...

You are right - no hairpins just one proper chicane and a second 'chicane' that can be straight lined as long as the group is strung out. The rest is pretty much rideable flat out which is 'fun' if you have a lot of inexperienced riders!
  • I'd race with the PT so the training peaks data is accurate and you get some race data. You'll get valuable data for training. You wont really look at it in the race but it will be very useful to look at afterwards.
    I use a PT and saw such value in race data I got a pair of race wheels with a PT hub.