Singular Gryphon, steel framed rigid single speed 29er.

Simonhi
Simonhi Posts: 229
edited February 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Well, it is nearly a year since my last build and I was getting a bit itchy so I fancied something that was almost the polar opposite to my Lynskey.

I had been looking at Singular Cycles for some time as the thought of a single speed had been on my mind ever since a guy said to me that the only three bikes I would ever need would be a light hard tail MTB, a single speed and a road bike (heaven forbid, more on that later). I very nearly settled on getting a Swift and the just as I was about to place my order and decided on a Gryphon, I liked the old school look to it, fancied a rigid as my mid week 20miler is mostly flat hard packed and I thought the dropped bar just looked quirky.

Fast forward a month or two and once I had gotten all the bits together spent an evening bolting it all together. I tried to keep it light and I don't think it is much heavier than my Lynskey so when it gets to the scales I don't think it will be much over 21lbs, which isn't bad for a steel framed bike.

Anyway, here is the list of bits n pieces and a few pics to boot, it rides super sweet, my poor Lynskey now lives it a bag marked "Special Occasions" and this one it getting a regular hammering, in fact it was built a couple of months ago and I have struggled to get it clean enough for pics since as I am always taking it for a spin.

Framea and Fork: Singular Gryphon (XL)
Bars: Salsa Woodchipper, shot basted and anodised silver
Bar Tape: Brooks Leather Honey
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm, 10 degree rise
Headset: Chris King, Hope Headset Spacers and Velo Orange Brass Bell.

Brake Lever assy: Cane Creek SCR-5 Tan hoods
Calipers: Avid BB7 Cable pull road
Discs: Avid, 185mm Front 160mm Rear
Pads: Avid

Hoses: Clarks, silver outer

Seat: Brooks Swift Titanium
Seat Post: Thomson Masterpiece
Seat Post Clamp: Thomson

Cranks: White Industries ENO
Chainring(s): White Industried 34
Chain: KMC X9 SL Gold
Cog: Chris King 16T
Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11
Bottom Bracket: Phil Square Taper, Titanium spindle, Magnesium cups

Wheels:
Rim: Stans Arch, stripped from black to a custom powder coat to match the frame, set up tubeless
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution, green DT Swiss Ano nipples.
Hub: Chris King SInglespeed Rear, ISO Front
Tire: Bontrager 29.0 Team Issue 1.9" wide.

Pics.

_SJH2658copy.jpg

_SJH2656copy.jpg

_SJH2672copy.jpg

_SJH2666.jpg

_SJH2670.jpg

_SJH2676.jpg

Big thanks to Sam Alison at Singular Cycles, top guy to deal with and very reassuring to be able to speak to the guy that designed your bike :-)

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Now that I like!! Got a Swift myself (little used tho' :( ) As I tend to ride my fully or my new Bfe... But I cant bring myself to sell it on!
    The Swift has a 100mm fork on it, but I might just go back to rigid after seeing yours! :)
    Singular were indeed a pleasure to deal with, and I like the little touches on my Swift, mainly the headtube badge and the retro(ish) look...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can't decide weather I love or hate this bike.

I'm also a fan of the single speed/rigid configuration and love the amount of thought you seem to have put it to it.

So I can't hate it, have to love it. But it's just those bars and the brakes, just can't see how they'd ever be practical?
  • Simonhi
    Heh heh, I know what you mean, for some on here I suppose it could be a marmite bike but riding it takes away any doubt.

It obviously would not be quicker over technical terrain than a well suspended bike but the SS gearing makes you work hard and the wide stance of the bike gives plenty of control when there are small steep descents to negotiate.

The brakes are fine but one of the reasons for going bigger on the front was the concern of cable operated disc brakes, but trust me, I've just come off a bike with Formula R1's fitted and these compare with stopping ability, maybe not modulation or feel as much but they do the main job well enough.

On a side note I have shaved just over 3mins off my lap time over a 20 mile loop that I do once or twice a aweek after work. It's fulfilled that obligation in making the midweek ride more fun that it was crusing round on the Lynskey.
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    That is a fantastic looking steed, love the back sweep on the bars.
    Also the fact it looks like a racer with balloon tyres, top top build.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • *bump*

Awesome bike - looks stunning.

The bottle cage on the sweat post - is it holding a hip flask!?
  • And the prize for most niche's (and worlds longest headtube) in one bike goes to.....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Simonhi
    minardi wrote:
    *bump*

Awesome bike - looks stunning.

The bottle cage on the sweat post - is it holding a hip flask!?

Cheers, yes the bottle cage on the seat tube is holding a hip flask with dark rum in it :-)
  • Beautiful stylish bike! :)

What should one wear when riding it? Got to be in style too?
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Firstly shouldnt this be in the commuter section its not a mountain bike !!

And secondly except for the weird bars what a gorgeous bike, love the colour scheme can you get these with suspension forks ?

Although i dont know if id want to take it mountain biking and get it dirty its too purrddddyyyy.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Simonhi
    Ha ha, just noticed this thread has been bumped since last September !!! Seems to have ruffled a few feathers, dunno why it can't be seen as a MTB, is that MTB's must have suspension and or riser / flat bars ???
    Beautiful stylish bike! :)

What should one wear when riding it? Got to be in style too?

Tweed. Tis the only acceptable attire when riding anyting with a Brooks saddle.

tarbot18 wrote:
    Firstly shouldnt this be in the commuter section its not a mountain bike !!

And secondly except for the weird bars what a gorgeous bike, love the colour scheme can you get these with suspension forks ?

Although i dont know if id want to take it mountain biking and get it dirty its too purrddddyyyy.

Commutting Section ??? Wash your mouth out !!! This bike gets plenty dirty, just seems to clean up well with a good wash. Sadly living in a flat it doesnt get to come inside dirty so I always bung a bucket of water in the bin store outside befroe I leave to go riding. I would be divorced otherwise.

Probably gonna sell up soon. I'm after a cyclocross bike and there is'nt the room for 4 at home. The Lynskey is going too :-(
  • That is the most hippie machine ever.

Somehow cool, but you need a beard, and no job to ride it.
  • Simonhi
    Got a beard, but also strangely bald on top as well, which confuses some people when an take off my hat !!!
  • not my sort of thing but you have done a lovely job of building it up.
    well done
  • Simonhi wrote:
    Got a beard, but also strangely bald on top as well, which confuses some people when an take off my hat !!!

Haha, my father in law is that way as well. Since it's winter, I always just say the hair migrated south to warmer climates.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi wrote:

Haha, my father in law is that way as well. Since it's winter, I always just say the hair migrated south to warmer climates.

It's funny really cos I took a whole load of stick at school when my hair started falling out at 16 :shock:. Came to terms with being bald pretty quickly and got used to having very short hair before finally going the whole hog and shaving it all off about ten years ago.

Now 36, been with my missus for five years, married last November, and she was the one that convinced me to keep a beard after growing it when I went to Norway last winter. At minus 35 ceclius a bit of hair on the face does wonders to keep you warm when you are stood about on a mountain range at night trying to take pictures of the Northern lights.

Now my mates are starting to lose their hair its funny to watch, I get to take the p i s s now !!!