Hillingdon 4ths - how difficult compared to .............

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited February 2012 in Amateur race
At the grand age of 58 I got coerced by much younger club members into entering the 4th Cat Imperial RT Winter Series, my first race since a schoolboy circuit race in West Smethwick Park over 40 years ago. Needless to say I haven't exactly set the series on fire, but not disgraced myself either. Finished mid field for most of them (apart from one mega fail in the second round when I came dead last after blowing up big time early on), but I've improved a bit and I've managed 11th twice in more recent efforts.

So, I fancy doing a bit more when the series ends, but not sure where Hillingdon fits into the grand scheme of things in terms of difficulty. Would I survive a 3rd/4th event at Goodwood or Ludgershall, or are they much harder? MK Bowl? Any 4th only events out there?

I don't really want to traipse halfway round the country just to get shelled out on the first lap.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If it's not windy Goodwood and Dunsfold are easier to stay in the bunch (I don't think there is any goodwood this year is there?) Which obviously means correspondingly harder to get away and people are even fresher for the sprint. Crystal Palace is much tougher.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • proto
    jibberjim wrote:
    If it's not windy Goodwood and Dunsfold are easier to stay in the bunch ............

We've been averaging about 24mph at Hillingdon, would Dunsfold be similar?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    proto wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    If it's not windy Goodwood and Dunsfold are easier to stay in the bunch ............

We've been averaging about 24mph at Hillingdon, would Dunsfold be similar?

I think I've averaged 27mph at Dunsfold... but average speed means nothing on how hard it is, Crystal palace 3/4 will be often won at under 23mph but is an immensely harder race.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • proto
    Thanks Jim. I suppose there is one way to find out ..................... :shock:
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    All thing being even, and if your main objective is to stay with the bunch, I'd say that goodwood is an easier circuit than hillingdon as the track is wider so it's easier to work your way forward - I think it's safer too. That said I with the surrey league e12's at goodwood are much tougher than the e123's at hillingdon (though that may just be the field)

I find palace the hardest of the local circuits, but your positioning makes a huge difference in that race, so if you struggle to hold your position near the front it makes it a lot harder.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I think if you've done fine at Hillingdon then MK Bowl should be ok some weeks, others maybe not. They sometimes just use the main bowl service road, which has no tight bends, and is an oval with a short incline in which case (for me at least) it tends to be a bit easier. If they open up and use some of the outer service roads it becomes quite twisty hence a lot of changes in pace, if you lose touch then the race is pretty much over. I'd recommend giving the races there a go.

How about looking at some races on the roads rather than on circuits? They tend to be longer races, but usually a little less frantic as a result.
  • I was at the same stage as you last winter, also finished 11th twice in the winter series. I came 4th in my only race at Dunsfold, it was the last one of the series so I suppose lots of faster riders had moved up already. It felt slower\easier than Hillingdon however