VDO Bike Computer

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi, has anyone any experience of VDO bike computers.

I am currently using an X3 DW with wireless connectivity.
I have it set up for three bikes, two road bikes and one hybrid. I couldn't get the unit to recognise different wheel circumferences ie. bike 1 & 2 so I set it up with just one wheel circumference which covered all three bikes.

It seemed to work OK for a few weeks, but on fitting a cadence unit to my training bike, I started getting intermittant signal failure on the cadence setting. This has now progressed to no cadence read out at all, and on all three bikes the unit fails on distance and speed after about two miles or a few minutes.

I have replaced all batteries and realigned magnets....no improvement.

Any comments or experiences, before I take the lot off the bikes and send it back under warranty to VDO

Very disappointed

Comments

• Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    I have a VDO Comp but it's not on the bloody bike, it was the most temperamental piece of crap I have ever bought.

It's on the shelf in the shed , finally gave up on the turd , your story sounds remarkably similar to mine but go one step further than me and send it back. I occasionally try to put it back on the bike but never works reliably .

Annoyed me so much went back to a wired comp (btw wired comp was good enough for Voeckler )
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Hi Lazurus, like you I am so frustrated, but I have spent alot of cash on the thing so don't really want to give up on it ay this stage. Will keep you posted on any developments with VDO.
  • Lazarus
    Hope you get it working correctly :)

I can always get the thing working but as you say it could be a few miles or maybe only a few seconds later and it loses the signal. :cry:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • Hi all, received parcel from VDO last week and they have replaced all the equipment I sent back.

Everything is brand new, and it looks like they have tested the computer head before dispatch. Anyway, refitted everything to my three bikes and they all work a traet.

Very impressed with customer service at VDO.
  • Lazarus
    Glad your problem was resolved :)
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have a wired VDO - cost about £12 from Chain Reaction - its fantastic!