noob tyres question

journey_man_pro
journey_man_pro Posts: 169
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
am after some tyres for my giant xtc but being a noob im not sure what im after in terms or wired or not?

whats the pros and cons of each for general xc/trail riding?

cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Folding (or Kevlar bead) are lighter than non folding (steel bead), they sometimes use a better compound etc, sometimes not.

For a lighter bike like the XTC it would seem silly to add weight by using wire bead tyres. As for which tyres to get, need to know what useage/surface etc you have.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mainly riding trails, cannock and llandegla usually.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Do u want less rolling resistance? or more grip?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • well, both to be honest but thats not going to happen. at the minute im using schwalbe racing ralphs in 2.1 and in the wet i cant get near my brothers downhills (though they do have a giant anthem and reign so it will always be a no contest) but im fearful of it washing out.

i was looking at tioga factory xc in 2.2. i feel this would be a good compromise, i dont really want to go 2.3 or bigger unless its really worth it.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    keep the racing Ralph and whack a Nobby Nick on the front...

A great combo...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • any more opinions on this? is it worth upping to 2.2 or 2.3 over my current 2.1? went out at the weekend and really struggled for grip and control in the mud.

looking to resolve fairly soon so any more help would be great.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Everyone struggles for grip in mud. Part of the fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • looks like im going for nobby nics then. any better suggestions?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I have a 2.25 Nic up front and really like it, but tyres are a really subjective thing - lots of different opinions. The only way you'll know is by trying it and see how it goes!