Go Pro, Contour or other?

JBA
JBA Posts: 2,852
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have had tacit agreement from SheWhoMustBeObeyed to get an action camera so I'd like some recommendations from you guys about which one to buy.
There are some excellent videos posted on here so lots of you obviously know what these cameras are capable of.
Main use will be for mountain biking and surfing.

In a nutshell, which should I buy and why?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Comments

• I've only tried the GoPro Hero 2. Was a great little camera. VERY versatile indeed. Also has built in timelapse feature which is great for video.

Also the stock case is waterproof to 60metres.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i would say take your pick they all more than capable these days..

some have better mounting options than others.

go-pro have some if not the best mounting options
    drift hd decent qulity limmeted mounting options
    contour hd awesome quality not bad mounting otpions and gps (see were you have ridden)
    vio pov hd outstanding quality loads of mounting options only downfall is it's a seperate bullet cam and wired recorder so you have to carry the recorder in your pocket or backpack,,

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Helmet_Cameras

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/products.htm
    if i was gonna recomend one i go for the vio pov hd..
  • JBA
    Thanks for the replies, gents.

I hadn't come across VIO POV. Looks the business but is way out of my price range unfortunately.

Been doing some reading today. I like the size and shape of the Contour but don't like the fact that it cannot be reset on-the-fly.

The Go Pro HD Hero2 has tickled my fancy though.

Hmm? What to do...

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the vio pov's are very pricey but worth it the quality is outstanding..

as i said i dont think theres much in it with the others they all have their strengths and weaknesses ..
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    Bought a hero2 last week after weeks of reading reviews and advice, must say its a cracking little thing, image quality is fantastic.
    Bought it originally for ridin but since realised its a versatile little bugger, use it anywhere and gotta love that massive fisheye...

Defo recommend the LCD bac PAC tho, and the new wifi remote comes out soon which looks wicked, live streaming to iPhones etc.
  • JBA
    I bought a Hero2 yesterday and am looking forward to playing with it over the weekend. :)

I think I'll buy the wi-fi remote when it comes out as it will add even more versatility to the camera.

• Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    Glad you went with the gopro, fantastic piece of kit,
    Check out this forum:
    GoProUser.freeforums.org
    Brilliant vids, upgrades, ideas etc on there to get you started,
    My only gripe I've found so far is you can't put multiple bac pacs on, like the extra battery and then the LCD on top, but the live stream with the wifi to my phone is gonna be tempting, might get 1 on pre order.

Mods delete at will if links to other forums are not permitted.

Matt.
  • JBA
    Thanks for the link, Matt. 8)
    Just what I needed to get going.

cheers,
    Andrew