SC chameleon or Ragley blue pig? Alu vs steel

phonic73
phonic73 Posts: 60
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Recently rode Cannock on my chameleon but felt rather shaken at the end, (fillings stayed in my mouth though) however it did go where I pointed it so can't complain about it's handling. Running Rockshox revelation RLT up front, 150mm.

My question is I guess, would the blue pig (or similar) be a bit more forgiving as my chameleon is rather harsh at times.
I know one answer is "get a full susser" but would preferably want to stick to a hardtail. Also I realise tyre choice can make a difference too.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pig is still pretty stiff, not Chameleon stiff but then what is? Usually heavy steel frames still turn out stiff just because of the amount of metal in them- steel girders aren't springy.

Cotic Soul and lose 10mm of your travel is one option. Carbon 456 is another. Ragley Ti or 456 Ti f you can spend a bit more (the Ragley Ti's the best hardtail I've ever ridden, though that's a matter of taste o'course)

(I've not ridden a stanton slackline but the hype says they've got a pretty compliant rear end. Then again the hype says they're born unto a virgin to save us from our sins)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cotic BFe would be a lot more comfortable than the Chamelion and just as hardcore.
  • Yeah been looking at the Bfe and looks good. Just ordered some new tires in the form of Maxxis Advantage 2.1 rear and 2.4 front as they have a larger air volume which may help absorb some of harshness from my chameleon.
    I did have an On One 456 SS albeit brielfy, in fact it lasted about 2 hours as I just couldnt get to grips with the slack head angle.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BFe's less harsh but still not exactly compliant. Nice frames though.

If you can, you might want to swap for a 2.25 Advantage, it ought to fit in a Chameleon and there's not much downside, but it'll take out a lot more sting than a 2.1.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • It was a 2.25 I ordered for the front and the 2.1 rear, but Ill see how they go for now, if they blow up bigger than my current 2.35 Rocket Rons then that will help anyway. Heard various people saying that the Advantage's fill up pretty well cos of their huge volume.
    Will check then to see if the 2.25 fits in the rear ok before getting one.