Scram cassette to Ultegra

danielrc87
danielrc87 Posts: 18
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I have put an 11-32 Scram cassette with a standard Ultegra derailer and it worked a treat without any modifications or ajustments, I can even run the 52 chainring with the 32 but the chain is at it's limit, on the 39 ring it works well. it even seems quieter than the Shimano cassette? Just thought I'd share this in case others were contimpating the same swap for an extra gear up the hills.

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    prepare for the mechanism going into the spokes. it wont be long. you need a tripple chainset. :|
  • Are you talking about the chain jumping into the spokes?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the upper jockey wheel isn't fouling the teeth on the biggest sprocket, and the limit screws are properly set, why on earth would the mech, or the chain for that matter, go into the spokes???
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I'd scram
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rake
    keef66 wrote:
    If the upper jockey wheel isn't fouling the teeth on the biggest sprocket, and the limit screws are properly set, why on earth would the mech, or the chain for that matter, go into the spokes???
    it isnt made for it not a good idea. you used the if word twice and then why on earth. will if the if's are wrong it will.
    it may seem ok in gear but id be very surprised if there wasnt any catching and chain binding while changing into bottom. its the same if you jump too many teeth in one go, say 12t next to a 17t.
  • Hi,

I've been thinking about doing this myself.I have a 39/53 Dura Ace crank and want to get closer to compact gearing so figured a SRAM 11-32 cassette would do the trick.Is this feasible (chain lenght aside) as it's a cheaper otion than anew crank. Oh and yes I know I need to be fitter, lighter and to grit my teeth before I get told but I would appreciate a technical/engineering angle please.
    Cheers
    Matt
  • rake
    most compacts seem to have 12t top gears with 50t front. a 13/53 is nearly as high as 12/50 so an 11t sprocket is questionable.